Schionning 12.3

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Finally

Re: Schionning 12.3

Post by Finally » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm

mahnamahna wrote:Launched Wednesday and motored around Brisbane Waters for the day to be sure we were comfortable we could motor the 8 hours from Gosford to home at Wyee on Lake Macquarie.

Words dont adequately describe how good it feels to get on the water. Months of work ahead to finish it but that will be a pleasure. Thanks for all the support, advice and encouragement along the way. 12 years is a long time but to those still going, keep going. I have only had two days on the water on her and its already been worth it.
Congrats Paul - well done. Still a way to go before it's "finished" but it sounds like you are in no particular hurry. I've been struggling for motivation these last few weeks - sick and tired of dripping with sweat all day every day. This is just the kick in the pants I needed to get going again. - actually got the paint out yesterday and started the forward sail / anchor / storage lockers (but I'm still dripping wet).

Once again - well done. I'm sure you and Johanna are going to enjoy it - even if it's just under power for a while. I see you let all of us on DIY know before you posted anything on your blog. When you update your blog I'd like to see photos of the actual move and launch and, of course, photos of your trip to Yikes' new home.

David

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm

mahnamahna wrote:I have 2007 Yamaha 9.9 high thrusts. My guesstimate on usage was not scientific and on reflection perhaps closer to 3 litres per hour (24l tanks not full to top, after 7 hrs topped up and were not yet empty and topped up about 1/4 tank each). I refueled the tanks underway so did not accurately measure how much I filled nor were the tanks measured accurately on departure or when topped up and nor have I fitted my tacho/hour counters yet. But over the coming months I will find their optimal revs for speed vs economy to get an accurate range and I will buy 2 more outboard tanks so we don’t have to fill as we go while connected. Doing that caused me to get close to seasick. I took over the helm and recovered quickly but I would probably like to avoid that. All in all it was a really fun cruise up.
Not sure how far south we'll get this summer, I'm doing some work in Qld just now. But I have a 25 litre and a 10 litre outboard tank you can have if we end up in the same area.

The more time you spend on the boat, the less susceptible to sea sickness you'll be.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:00 am

Congratulations my friend. I try to look ahead and imagine what it will feel like to launch but I’m thinking it will be far far better than anything I could imagine!! Would love to come visit from America but at this time all the money is going into the boat.
Nice pics of the boat on the water. Any idea how much she weights?
Last edited by Beav222 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:22 am

I had a message from another builder that she floats quite high and I was also surprised at how much anti foul is visible. In fact I fitted an underwater light in each hull one is 100mm above the other just at the surface. I also have a black water out skin fitting about 100mm above that I had intended to be below water. Having said that she is very empty. No water in tanks. Just 1 of 3 mattress’s, no linings or covering on anything and of course no rig. So I am sure we can get the underwater lights wet. The truck reckoned that she is between 4000 kilos and 4500 kilos.

And I don’t know about other builders but the last week was not pleasant. I don’t usually stress a lot but I could hardly eat for the past week and felt nauseous most of the time. And had neck pain. Now all that is gone. So it’s an interesting mix of emotions launch week. And once in and sea trials are successful a special calm satisfaction is the best way for me to describe it. Push on brother.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:53 am

Well done Paul, congratulations!

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:02 pm

mahnamahna wrote:
And I don’t know about other builders but the last week was not pleasant. I don’t usually stress a lot but I could hardly eat for the past week and felt nauseous most of the time. And had neck pain. Now all that is gone. So it’s an interesting mix of emotions launch week. And once in and sea trials are successful a special calm satisfaction is the best way for me to describe it. Push on brother.
You realize how much work you have to do before launching, and suddenly there's a deadline!

Doing our own launch would have eased that pressure a bit for us, but I still remember once we decided on a date, the last couple of weeks were very busy, and the last few days hectic!

Mixed emotions is right. I actually missed having the boat in the backyard for a while.

Nothing you can't get over though.

shiraz02

Post by shiraz02 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm

Congrats Paul, must be awesome to be floating. Hopefully will be joining you on the water soon, just procrastinating now about spraying the topcoat on the head/shower and saloon/galley, daunted a bit about how to go about it.Certainly floating nice and high, and doesn't appear nose heavy like the first 1230 launched.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Sean, interesting that you mentioned the nose heavy. I too was concerned about that as 3 or 4 launched a little nose down. So I thought mine would too and I could disguise it a little by raising my anti foul line just at the bow tapering down to about half way. And my first thought on looking at it after launch was I nailed it.

But on closer inspection my chine is fairly level and you can just make out my slightly raised anti foul.

I didn’t top coat my brother did it for me. Want me to ask him if he will do yours?

I wish now I bought masts back when I had money. I am getting a bit better pay so maybe I will have them by end of the year. I am still very keen on the bi rig with wishbone booms like cat2fold.

Quick question. Have you installed your steering? I have exactly the same components as you and my helm is 6 turns lock to lock. Both guys on my motor home have mechanical steered cats with 4 turns lock to lock. My tillers are 200mm from rudder post centres.

We all thought it steered well but I am just wondering about what is the optimal set up number?

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi Paul
Congratulations. It is a huge achievement and emotional (if anything like my launch). The yacht looks amazing, you should be proud. Sea sickness does go, just be careful with the bride, once they are turned off, thats it... Look forward to catching up sometime, we have been living on urs for the last 14 months.
James

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Hello everyone.

Have been super lazy (and still skint) the last few months. Will hopefully get started on all the unfinished internal work soon. Also hope to get out on her and do some whale watching off Swansea.

I took some photos last weekend to update my blog on how high she still rides and google turned them into a gif that I got a kick out of. Excuse my self indulgence 😎