SV Ratbag

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
CQ Cruiser

SV Ratbag

Post by CQ Cruiser » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:52 am

Brief history, brought the plans for "Sarah" No 2. Had a few delays in regards to building place and work stuff. Finally started in Dec 08. Was doing mine work so time available to work on Ratbag was zero :(

Now started my own business and things going great. Some pics added so far.

Gypsy28

SV Ratbag

Post by Gypsy28 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:48 am

Well done, your making great progress. Love the "SHED" :D

pt780

RW

SV Ratbag

Post by RW » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:04 am

Hi Gaz, good to see the pics. I see you got a bit done with the glassing today. You will have to stop throwing the ball for the dog...wastes toooooo much time.

Love the shed. I hope the rain stays away.

Cheers

Rod

CQ Cruiser

SV Ratbag

Post by CQ Cruiser » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:21 am

Learnt alot today. First dont try to stretch the glass... gets ugly then :( . Need a tennis ball machine for the dog :lol:

terryk

SV Ratbag

Post by terryk » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi CQ, welcome and the boat is looking great :!: I had never done any glassing before starting an Easy 37, eventually with a bit of planning it wasn`t so daunting :D , looking at your pics I have one question :?: why did you glass in vertical strips :?: as this will give you approx. 12 overlapping joins which will need fairing, I would have thought going horizontally from 100mm below the shear to waterline chine you would have only one overlap :?: If it was a matter of glassing alone you can still manage to succeed. Did you use the dry or wet method :?: I used the dry method as I found this much more manageable alone, wife had to work.

Plan

Start from the keelson and work down obviously.

Sand and clean down hull, no spiky bits of ply.

Lay glass alongthe keelson overlapping by 100mm and hold in place with masking tape which has 1 end turned over so you can pull the tape off the glass easily.

Smooth out any folds by hand.

Get your epoxy and rollers ready.

3 to 4 foam rollers and trays per side.

Have 5 x 750ml epoxy in 2 litre measuring jugs ( jugs from a $2.00 shop)

ready for the the hardener ( if using 2:1) I could handle I litre of epoxy if the temp was around 20 C.

I started from the middle of the hull and worked my way to either end.

The next day I feathered the edges ready for the glass, then started the process all over again. I hope this helps, once you get into a routine you will see the smile on your face :D

Here are a few pics

cheers terryk

northerncat

SV Ratbag

Post by northerncat » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:41 am

i too found horizontally easy, i did consider vertical but also thought of the fairning problem

sean

puremajek

SV Ratbag

Post by puremajek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm

CQ, any more pics? Looks great so far
James

CQ Cruiser

SV Ratbag

Post by CQ Cruiser » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 am

Know I havent posted anything for awhile, Went to whitsundays for 5 weeks in Aug/Sept last year for Hammo race week, delivered a 50 ft benetau and returned to Rosslyn Bay, When I finally got back had to move the hull, two cranes and a semi later, finally had it sorted at xmas, long time I know. Progress is now happening, hull is finished and upright, transom steps made and internal being glassed along floor. Second hull is nearly finished, outboard pod and mini keel to go. Bridgedeck is started and Internals are being purchased, Havent got any pics of second hull but here is the first one

RW

SV Ratbag

Post by RW » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:17 pm

Looking good Gaz.

Hammo???...what happened there...oh I remember now.

Any news on Sanctuary Cove? Might catch you there.

Rod

terryk

SV Ratbag

Post by terryk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Looking great CQ, progress is a great moral booster :!: Don`t let the hulls fall over like mine did :oops: no damage apart from a small hole portside :cry: It gets better when the large components come together, the visual reality is awsome :!:

Cheers

terryk