Micks Spirited 480

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Finally

Re: Micks Spirited 480

Post by Finally » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:38 am

Wow - awesome - stunning. Bet you can't stop smiling.

What a fantastic effort and all in only 6 years for a massive 48 foot boat.

What's its overall length with the bowsprit coz that is how you will be charged when booking a marina berth (unless, of course, it's retractable)

Bet you can't wait to get that rig and see how it performs. If it performs as well as it looks you're in for the ride of your life.

David

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi David

Cheers for the positive comments.

Its been a massive effort that I think only crazy armature project type people can understand. A lot of 'real life' goes on during a build of something like what we do and the ongoing time and financial stress can get pretty intense. Gotta love it or it will end ya though.

c/w prodder length is 54'. I usually think things through mate but thanks for the lesson regarding how marinas fees are calculated....

I designed and built in a carbon sleeve joint internal in the prodder. The cut is not currently made however as we couldn't get the engineering to be quite as strong as the permanent prodder. But its there if it becomes and issue and I want to make the prodder removable.

Please don't take my comment to heart. I will always answer questions about the boat in full and provide any technical info or help I can and assist others where I can. I had a lot of support from other builders and gained knowledge and contacts through this site too. However I don't take well to negative comments or (un)helpful insights by people on something I cant do much about, IE busted ass on for 6 years. The bloke that started quoting his facts about tidal launches that had gone bad re sea cocks and how he only uses cranes now as the boat was on the sand and the tide was coming in... very helpful. I have had so much of that type of thing lately.

Regards
Mick

Finally

Post by Finally » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:31 pm

teamROAM wrote: However I don't take well to negative comments or (un)helpful insights by people on something I cant do much about, IE busted ass on for 6 years.
All you have to do now is point to the boat "Yeah - suck eggs now - look what I've built". While they sit on dry land continuing on with their humdrum lives.

If the photos are any indication as to the standard of finish then I am totally jealous. And to finish this project on that sized boat to what appears to be a very, very high standard in only 6 years is a remarkable achievement. Particularly as it's been done part time.

If ever I get a chance to have a look at your boat I'll have to wear a bib - so I don't drool all over "Roam". :lol:

he b gb

Post by he b gb » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:28 am

Congratulations!!! Very nice job. When do the rig and sails arrive? If you ever sail up to Qld, pm me and I can show you some waves out the reef. Regards, Gerald .

44c

Post by 44c » Sat May 09, 2015 8:33 am

Fantastic job!

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Sat May 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks gents, I'm stoked with it. When I get a chance Ill report on how well the systems are going that the DIY Yachts crew helped us with. Paul mahnamahna and Mike whimsical for the solar panels and batteries in particular.

I'm up on a towage job in Malaysia saving some $ for mast and sails.... so close to Langkawi but so far.......

Cheers
Mick

jev

Post by jev » Mon May 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Awesome job, what a stunning cat!

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Sat May 23, 2015 10:18 am

Thanks a lot Jev

Had a few messages for interior photos. I will post some soon on the boats Facebook page. You don't need to be a facebook user to view it.

Also will start doing some more technical content regarding the boats systems.. Always wanted to document the construction better but never had near enough time during build....

Regards
Mick

http://www.facebook.com/sailsurfroam
Attachments
Sail Surf ROAM.jpg

Darren

Post by Darren » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:08 am

Ahh, the penny drops...

Is your boat moored at St Helens wharf (or was last week)? I saw it there, and had a squiz. Very nice. Excellent work.

[EDIT: Followed the links to the website, and saw that it was you. Nice timing with the departure. That wind was nasty in the few days before]

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi Darren

Should have said Hi. We wouldn't have been far away. Had some hectic wind this winter in Tas. Several blows into the 50's and 60's.

Heading north now. We are in Lakes Entrance c/w mast and borrowed jib!

We have been posting some travel pics etc on www.sailsurfroam.com

Regards
Mick