Piston Broke

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
dazza

Re: Piston Broke

Post by dazza » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:50 pm

P1010004.JPG

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Dazza, yep it's a massive job! Not sure if it comes to 30% to 40% in time, it didn't for me but that also shows in the results! Certainly didn't come to that portion of the cost for me as I did most of it myself... I found some of the internal systems very time consuming, especially the electrical but I think you might be more skilled in that area than me!
Mike

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 pm

I reckon 30-40 % of my build time was on cosmetic (my word for fairing/painting) stuff too. But I wouldnt say cost though. As little as 10-15 % of cost is my guess. Its hard for me to be accurate because some of the build I faired as I went. But I searched back through my blog and I was fairing only (that is fairing and nothing else) as far back as 2014. So I reckon I spent 3-4 years of my 12 fairing.

isladelobos

Post by isladelobos » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi!!

Seems a good finished paint.
You have calculate the weight in paints?

Regards.

dazza

Post by dazza » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi there

Cant tell you how much paint i used on the outside as i haven't finished yet and i've lost count as i'm buying it in bits and pieces as i can afford it.

The interior is sprayed gloss the same paint as outside and i used about 30 litres of top coat.

I seem to be using more than double the coverage rate that is suggested by the manufacturer.

Cheers Dazza

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:45 am

Hey Dazza
Now ten years in the water and the additional paint is literally ‘worth it’s wait in gold’. We have done one cutback externally and still have another 5-8 years I reckon. Inside, it still as we painted it.

I wouldn’t change what you are doing, in particular below waterline.
James

Tking58

Post by Tking58 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Dazza,

Since I’m new on this forum I can’t send you a PM. I’m planning to build a Waller 1200 near Gatton and would love to catch up some time and take a look at your build.

Cheers,

Tony

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:38 am

I’m not at your stage of building yet but I have a friend that bought a sol-cat( a small 18’ beach cat) and I took on the repainting of it. I’ve gained a lot of experience from this that will save me a lot of time later. I’m not recommending you take on extra projects but if you can watch or help someone else it will pay dividends later. Also YouTube has some very good vids that educate us amateurs lol. Just a thought!! I do know this tho, when the paint starts so do the emotions :o
Cheers
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

dazza

Post by dazza » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:58 am

Hi there

Yeah i used you tube to teach myself how to fair and paint, Peter Nicholson from International paints gave lots of good advice too.

Practice is the only way to learn , just get in , have a go!

Sent you a PM , Tony.

More photos on its way , camera died.

Cheers Dazza

Giles

Post by Giles » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 am

Can't wait to see updated pictures!