MV catapult

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
groper

Re: MV catapult

Post by groper »

Finally

Post by Finally »

AWESOME!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WELL DONE!!!

You could not have picked a better day for your launch and first sea trial.

And here I was sweating away on my build - a balmy 39.6C in the cockpit today (admittedly it was cooler outside of the shed).

Oh to be on the water....

How was the handling?
teamROAM

Post by teamROAM »

What a weapon!!! the wake looks like from Phaedo 3 in the Caribbean 600!

Well done!!
44c

Post by 44c »

Onya Nick! Floats on her lines spot on!

So, what'll she do?

The Riviera crowd won't take you seriously though, she hardly leaves a ripple.
groper

Post by groper »

yep sorry, as to performance we managed a top speed of 27kts. The props are too coarse and the engines would only spin to 5000rpm where they cant reach peak HP. so looks like ill have to change props - not for speed - but simply to get things where they should be in terms of loading the engines. Im going to attempt to pick a prop which will give give best efficiency at cruising speeds of 17-21kts - perhaps a 4 blade will suit this application?

She doesnt really rise up onto the plane without the hard chined hull... as the throttle advances, the boat just picks up speed without any real noticeable hump to climb over... she seems to be happy cruising at any speed above about 14kts where the transom becomes dry... cant comment as to how it handles rough water - we didnt get any! Perfect day out to the reef, flat as a tack with only a very slight chop coming home.
Its nice to be able to get to the outer reef in an hour - which is what we designed this boat to do. Not so much for extended cruising like most of you guys are building - i still have to work unfortunately so weekends and extended weekends is all i can typically do and this boat allows me to get away a bit further from the usual flogged out fishing and diving grounds near cairns. Ive noticed that the reef is in poor health around here these days, really need to get further away - just out of range of the trailer boats and commercial tourist boats and you can see the difference underwater is pretty dramatic...

Ive also decided that i need to add a trampoline up front - without it you loose such a great place to relax away from the engine noise and its a bit safer too... Heres a couple vids i took from the maiden voyage - one day i might get around to making the highly polished edited masterpeices of Team ROAM style :D - but man going through all the go pro footage takes forever!

he b gb

Post by he b gb »

Great effort Groper, now the fun begins! Cheers, Gerald.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Well done mate, great to see another boat take the splash! And she looks awesome! :D
Matt L.

Post by Matt L. »

Wow, fantastic!
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)
Finally

Post by Finally »

20 knots looks effortless and barely any wake to speak of.

Seabreeze is predicting <10 knots all this coming wekkend. I'll have a fair guess where you will be. :D
groper

Post by groper »

Hi all, been a while between drinks... just thought id show up and offer those still building a little motivation :mrgreen: The video in the link below shows what we have been upto for the last 6 months. Great to see some of the others along the coast also, - cheers to CB up at lizard island recently :)

https://vimeo.com/190509671