MV catapult

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
rexd666
Site Admin

Re: MV catapult

Post by rexd666 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Awesome, exactly answers the question of whether the grid scored was still lighter than hand laid. So more so for heavier components, but maybe something like furniture the grid scored becomes line ball if still a foam core and not honeycomb.
Steve

groper

Post by groper » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

The real benefit with the grid scored foam is its such an easy job to infuse it... if weight is not a consideration at all, then hands down the grid scored foam is the way to go... it doesnt require flow media or perforated film, and the resin lines can be spaced at over 2m intervals because you can pull the resin so far across the laminate. Using flow media, you can only pull the resin across the laminate about 800mm, so you need more feed lines on wide panels.

You dont have to buy the flow media and you dont waste any time with the additional set up of it and the perforated film. You can setup a huge panel infusion with this stuff as long as the boat in half a day without breaking a sweat...

groper

Post by groper » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Cockpit fairing... this is rather time consuming and frustrating... ill be glad when its done with...

groper

Post by groper » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Looks a little better with some paint on her...
Going for the rear half of the topsides next i think...

groper

Post by groper » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Topsides are offered up and the side cabin windows are installed... so much for xmas holidays huh?

groper

Post by groper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 am

Got a pic when i stripped down the tarp in preperation for the fizzer cyclone up here... only work done lately is getting the saloon ready for paint, still fairing in there...

groper

Post by groper » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Ok i got a question...

I need to build the solid foam bows...

Im wondering the best way of doing this and which material to use.

So far im considering;

a) Laminate some sheet polyurethane foam together, glue it onto the no.1 bulkhead and shape it fair. Glass over it and done.

b) To try to mold the shape using a pour foam... Once its shape is molded, glue it on the bulkhead and glass over.

c) Make a forma and build the bow caps from divinycell sheet, glass it into shape and then bond it onto flanges of no.1 bulkhead.

Anymore ideas or methods, please let me know...

comsa

Post by comsa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:38 am

Hi Groper,

Nice to see the huge progress on your boat.
On my cat I went with pour foam around cedar frame.
I also glue scrap divinycell foam pieces in order to save on pour PU foam.
I built them slightly oversize, glued them to the boat and shaped them in place.
Then glassed and re-enforced bows with fiberglass.

-SP

seamad1250

Post by seamad1250 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am

I just glued foam blocks on then got out the chainsaw to rough them in before boarding and glassing. Who doesn't enjoy a bit of chainsaw action? :D

groper

Post by groper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 pm

I had actually planned to do the same thing with the chainsaw!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i know all methods can work, just wondering on the easiest, quickest, lightest method...???