MV catapult

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Finally

Re: MV catapult

Post by Finally » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Great video Nick.

I'm green with envy (and that's not just because of the colour of the bog on my boat) - :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hopefully 12 months will see me on the water.

David

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:12 pm

It was good to meet you on Lizard Island, Nick. Your boat is so distinctive that I recognised it from a mile off. All the other yachties at Lizard made comment about it being a credit to someone so young to have desinged and built such a boat, and then completed the trip to PNG. Well done.

And the video of your trip north is really well done, too. We tried to get a video of you leaving Lizard, burning past us as we were cranking up into the wind. To see your hulls leaping across the waves was truly a sight, but we were too far away to capture anything useful on the camera.

Hope to run into you again next year. We're going to make the trip north again next winter.

Chris

groper

Post by groper » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:05 am

Despite the fun we've been having with this boat, id love to get into a good sailing cat somehow so that we can live on it and go cruising the world, starting with the pacific islands...

Ive been racking my brains to figure the best way of achieving this goal. Ive been contemplating building again - but i know its so much work and i really doubt whether its all worth it in terms of time and money spent vs putting similar efforts into other avenues making money, then buy a 2nd hand yacht ready to sail.

To my thinking, the second option is without a doubt a better way to go, however the problem im always facing is that i never see the 2nd hand yacht im looking for... i dont want a slow and heavy sail boat, I want a light weight sailing machine which goes like the wind and they just dont seem to exist in the 2nd hand market besides racing yachts - most of which dont have enough internal volume to create a performance cruiser out of it.

Ive also been looking around for unfinished projects to take over. Theres a few of these around and may well be the way i end up going - once i find the right one. If anyone knows of one which comes available - can you please let me know? It would have to be lightweight construction of +44ft...

coachdaz

Post by coachdaz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:36 am

This might be your ticket:
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-s ... ss=Premium

contact the schionning directly also, because they will know the background.

Good luck with it,
Darren

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:05 am

Very cool look. Kinda alien! :mrgreen:
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:25 am

Great video Nick! Pity we missed you on your trip south.

As for the sailing cat - didn't you already have one?

groper

Post by groper » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Nah that one definitely wasn't my dream Alan...

If I build again it will be;

Around 50ft LWL;
Very light, no genset, no diesels, no bridgedeck cabin,
Rotating carbon wingmast, high aspect sail plan,
Asymmetric C type dagger foils,
minimalistic but functional cruising interior space in each hull...

If you know of anything like that on the 2nd hand market under a 1/4 mil $ - let me know :D

PRJP78

Post by PRJP78 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:59 pm

groper wrote: Around 50ft LWL;
Very light, no genset, no diesels, no bridgedeck cabin,
Rotating carbon wingmast, high aspect sail plan,
Asymmetric C type dagger foils,
minimalistic but functional cruising interior space in each hull...

If you know of anything like that on the 2nd hand market under a 1/4 mil $ - let me know :D
heh, sounds perfect.