MV catapult

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
groper

Re: MV catapult

Post by groper » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:51 pm

its been a while, so ill simply let the pictures do the talking...

Ended up making a rough as guts mold and using pour foam for the bows;

Then glassed, faired and painted;

Painted the cockpit too;

groper

Post by groper » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Painted the topsides;

and installed some front windows;

groper

Post by groper » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:56 pm

Some fairing happening inside;

And a pair of 115hp engines lying in wait;

Finally

Post by Finally » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:49 am

Coming along very nicely indeed. Well done.

Those Suzies will are going to get you out to the reef in double quick time.

Not far to go now...

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:09 am

Loos great! With a pair of 115's she should get up and go!

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Love your build Groper. Your academic approach to your own design and thorough researching of your build methods is admirable and makes for an informative and interesting read. Totally envious of all your tech wizardry. Doing a great job by the pics. You'd be a fool to argue that infusion wasn't a great build method. Vacuum bagging wet layups was never an option for my solo build and had infusion been more commonly adopted by the industry in NZ when I started I would of probably infused, benefiting from all the reason you argue earlier in your posts. Flat panel construction is certainly becoming the accepted norm for multihulls, as the economic, cost and time, benefits are obvious. Designs have matured to be aesthetically considerate to the method and your design does this well too. Look forward to your progress pics, hopefully a few more before your launch photos?

Regards, Matt.
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:10 am

One mean machine Matt.

Love your coving. Should certainly get up and go, in fact when underway can see you scooting along on one at idle... Even with ours we still push 5 tonne with one 9.9 at 4300rpm and get 5kts. Thank you for sharing.
James

groper

Post by groper » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks matt, your boat looks amazing!

Ive finished painting the inside - thank god - and have started the fitout... heres a few pics...

got some LED courtesy lighting installed in the cockpit, AKA pierlite timber deck lights...
interior hull space done in polyU 400. bathroom... need to add mirror, glass splashback and door to rear machinery space... hatches have since been installed to cabinets too... a one of the saloon port side...

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:10 am

Looks great Groper! I recently finished spraying the inside too...So I hear you! I struggled to pull off as good a job as your pics show, well done. Love the night pic, some night time bling will have to go on the list. Look how close you are to the road-Last pic...no hiding from the neighbours? Man, you can't be far off launching? Jealous much!
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)

groper

Post by groper » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:49 am

I have a question for anyone building a sandwich boat... im going to start fitting some large hatches soon - 600x600mm into the deck and roof of the saloon and was wondering if the other builders out there decored and backfilled the perimeter of the opening with rolled up uni glass tape? seems to me be mixed reports on whether its necessary or not?