Spinnaker prodder

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
DA

Spinnaker prodder

Post by DA » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Hi all ,
Has any one thought of using one of the selden removable /retractable bow sprits for a code zero or top down furling spinnaker ?
Or do the loads require a fixed bow sprit with kicker wires down to each hull?

Any thoughts or comments ?
Dave

Smooth Cruiser

Re: Spinnaker prodder

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:32 pm

There is an Easy in Mackay which has a small prodder for a screacher. It is doable but don't underestimate the loads involved once you start putting the required amount of tension on the luff of the sail. The prodder will need wires down to the bows to support the uplift forces.

Keep in mind as well that the whole concept of an Easy is to have a simple, conservative rig and sailplan and to get respectable performance by keeping the weight to an absolute minimum - starting to look at screachers and aso kites starts to go outside this design concept a bit! You can always fly a conventional loose luffed spinnaker or MPS from the front beam or bows anyway.

Chrisg

Post by Chrisg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:24 pm

for what its worth "Take It Easy" flies very successfully a loose luffed spinnaker, Big Red they call it, from the bows or the forward beam. Both Outback Dreamer and Marctica being Sarahs have provision for proders by early in the build installing pad eyes at the bow of each hull 200mm above water line. no further thought has been given to the rigging at this stage as we are still building.
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com

DA

Post by DA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks for the information and thoughts, I think I will go fora fully stayed prodder, this will allow me to douse the spinnaker on the furler from the cockpit.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 pm

While I don't have anything against prodders, just consider what the extra length will do to the overall length of the boat. Some Marinas will charge you for a longer boat because they will put you in a bigger berth, or you may have to back in all the time, nothing wrong with that, unless you want some privacy.
Jim.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:43 am

Some Marinas will charge you for a longer boat
Most marinas do. Also, they won't allow you to park forward in a pen unless you pay for the extra pen length so the prodder does not infringe the walkway. Jim is spot on with the reversing. Our mob also restrict the distance you stick out into the marina waterway (causing a hazard for others trying to get into their pens). Even after reversing in, they have a standard distance you can extend past the pen end, not sure what it is though.

Some more food for thought, it also affects some slipping locations as the rigging running to the pad-eyes prevents some marina sealifts/dolly from sliding easily under the bridge deck. Can be done, but takes a lot more time and manoeuvring. Just need to find somewhere that is happy to totally submerge their unit while you move over the top of it. Or move the prodder rigging each time you come in to slip.
James

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am

Also - when you say you like the thought of furling the kite from the cockpit, keep in mind that top down furling spinnakers can be problematic at times and aren't necessarily the silver bullet for short handed sailing that they may appear. I have been using one for over a year now and still occasionally have issues with it that require some tricky foredeck work. There are certainly some tricks to make a top down furler work well - on an Easy size boat I would stick to an MPS with a sock. I can expand on this more in another thread or by PM if you want. Of course if you're just talking a screacher then this is fine.