Anyone built a carbon mast?

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
Roland

Anyone built a carbon mast?

Post by Roland » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:25 am

Hi,
Did anyone build or hear of somebody who had built a carbon mast for an easy catamaran?

Smooth Cruiser

Re: Anyone built a carbon mast?

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 pm

I haven't - and the only thing that I would say is that there is a very fine balance when building a carbon mast between under-engineering and the mast being too weak, and over-engineering losing the weight advantage that carbon has.

A mast for an Easy is pretty light to start with so the benefits of carbon could be easily lost by adding a bit of extra material or extra fittings.

groper

Post by groper » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 am

Smooth cruiser is spot on. Unless its engineered by a professional, it will either be too weak or heavier than aluminium.

Then there is cost, first the engineering will cost some money before you start, then the cost of the epoxy + carbon + any molds or mandrels used. Ive looked into it, and even building it myself its more expensive than an aluminium mast.

Lastly, why would want a carbon mast for an Easy? Its a bit like wanting some racing slick tyres and low profile rims for a toyota landcruiser...

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Roland, if you are after weight saving, then why not replace the wire rigging with Dyneema/Dynex Dux or some other synthetic product. There is a s**t load of wire on an Easy, 8 lengths, and from memory it was more than I could lift in one hit. There is a 48 ft cat in behind me at the marina with a mast that goes into the clouds and he has some sort of synthetic stays which are 10 mm diameter, the recommended diameter for his rig was 8 mm but he said that was too scary so he went 10.
Just a thought.
Jim.

Redreuben

Post by Redreuben » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 pm

What about Dyneema AND a carbon mast ! lol.

Never done it but this link will give you something to think about.

http://www.aes.net.nz/comment19.html

Cheers and good luck.

Roland

Post by Roland » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Great link. Thanks. Very interesting. Just went through a quick calculation for a carbon mast 200mm x 150mm section 15.5m long and I ended up with approx 3000$ just for the carbon. Then you need epoxy, paint,some kind of a mold, vacuumed bagging stuff.. And and. And you need plenty of time to build it. In the end you don't save money compare to alloy mast extrusion and it's just not worth it to take the risk of heaving a bad mast because of lack of experience.. So alloy is the way to go for me ...