Spars

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
Bruce

Spars

Post by Bruce » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:24 pm

At the risk of everyone knowing about this site bar me :roll:

http://www.allyachtspars.com.au/Catalog ... #catalogue

I thought that this was a pretty comprehensive site compared to others I have viewed.

northerncat

Spars

Post by northerncat » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:03 pm

yes they have a fantastic site for build your own mast enthusiasts like me, mine is nearly finished with the last of the parts being made today all up i reckon it,ll end up costing me a week of time and about 6000 to make my mast from scratch

sean

puremajek

Spars

Post by puremajek » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Can recommend them, went in and had a chat on a one-on-one on what to buy and how to assemble the components. Had a look at many other professional catamaran mast builds underway which gave some great ideas. While they don't show the nitty-gritty, it was worth the full morning we spent there watching the Pro's at work. I have bought all my components from them and will start assembly in late March.
James

northerncat

Spars

Post by northerncat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:28 am

for those thinking of making your own masts ive just about finished mine and all up has taken about a week of my time, ive done a few things the hard way but it looks pretty good hoping to step it in a couple of weeks, all up ive saved about 8000

sean

Bruce

Spars

Post by Bruce » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 am

Pics please Sean.

You never fail to amaze me with your many talents. :o

puremajek

Spars

Post by puremajek » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 am

Well...here’s an about turn, and a real cranky one at that.
Can recommend them, went in and had a chat on a one-on-one on what to buy and how to assemble the components.
Finally sat down the other day with the data sheets supplied with the purchase ALL YACHT SPARS and found that they are extremely incomplete and sadly retract my recommendation listed above.

The ‘hot’ EASY 37 mast drawings I have, leave these new EASY 11.6 drawings (that they supplied me with the purchase) for dead. I don’t even have a detailed boom drawing. They have no descriptions for placement of 60% of the fittings, a sad ending to what I thought would be very straight forward build. I bought their full package too (with the exception of the lazyjacks).

One of the components that was yet to be made by ALL YACHT SPARS, arrived at an address 60 minutes from here, at another EASY builder, who then ended up with two pieces - no calls, no communication from them at all. There is still one more component to come, so watch out Shane in Darwin, if you get a spare - its mine.

I have now spent the last three days taking pictures of other EASY 11.6 mast setups and hope to have a better set-up in the end.

BUYER BEWARE - for the amateur anyway. :evil: :evil: :evil:

GRRRRRRRRR
James

terryk

Spars

Post by terryk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi builders of Easy37`s I am contemplating building my own mast and boom etc, to start my search what size/part no.`s sections are the mast and boom, noticing that Allyachtspars carry a range of specs and drawings.

Cheers

terryk

northerncat

Spars

Post by northerncat » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:16 am

will try to get some photos and a few of the details about making amast up this weekend

sean

Jim

Spars

Post by Jim » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi Terry, I had my mast supplied complete from Allyacht and while I would have no trouble building one myself as far as the nuts and bolts bit I figured as I don't have any idea what goes where or what it does I had them build it. Besides there is no where up here to get the mast annodised once all the cutouts have been made and that will lead to white furry bits later on.

The mast section is, Part # IM19-HY.A (191mm x 128mm) x 13mtrs.

The boom is Part # IM16L-HY.A (160mm x 112mm) x 3.965mtrs.

Have fun,

Jim.

northerncat

Spars

Post by northerncat » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 am

riveting in my stay attchment plates

spreader attachment fitting basically a peice of flat plate folded up (on a friend panbraketo the spar shape and then a few pieces of shaped alloy welded on in situ to bolt the spreaders on, then riveted on with monel rivets

my stay attachment plates( lug hounds i think theyre called ( there is an easier way to attach stays to masts and you can buy them from allyacht (called t ball tangs and would have saved me hours of work but never mind sometimes its good to do it the hard way)but unfortunately for me id already had my wires swaged with the wrong fittings and wasnt willing to waste a bit of money) they shouldnt be able to pull through the stainless 3mm backing plate, the plate was given a good coating of sikaflex to minimize corrosion betweent the mast and the stainless