building your own roller furler

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
northerncat

Post by northerncat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:42 pm

http://abone.superonline.com/~h.atinc/rollereng.htm

heres an article i found on making your own roller furler, ive been looking into this as they cost a substantial amount of money1700 for the cheapest reefurl, i have heard of them being made as cheap as 150$ using shower extrusion but thats rectangular in shape and i want mine to look good, apparently the sabot mast extrusion used to be the foil of choice but sadly if i want that i have to buy 250 kilos(2000$) of it around about enough to make 30 furlers. this obviously doesnt save me any money so does anyone out there know of a similar small dinghy mast ? and where i can buy it needs to have sufficient diameter to run orange cabling conduit up it to act as the bearing surface for the stay, for price reference the sabot foil furler cost 350 to make a year ago

sean
Last edited by northerncat on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northerncat

Post by northerncat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 pm

actually ive tracked the section down and itll cost 146$ for 4.27m so it looks like ill be able to build a furler similar to the reefurl for about 5-600 dollars contact details for the section are lightspar rob keeley 0395554622 the section is called a kr1 and is 39mm in diameter, it has the slot for the bolt rope, apparently the conduit needs to be touched up with a planeto slide into the extrusion and then all you need to make is the drum and wallah away you go, the guy who i got the info off must have payed a bit less for his extrusions than the current rate bu the price is still right for me

sean

northerncat

Post by northerncat » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:43 pm

am ordering the furler extrusion today and i will be going to buy some scrap aluminium to assemble the drum out of so if anyones interested ill take some photos of my attempt to make a furler for under 600$

sean

gunnadoo

Post by gunnadoo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:41 am

Sean, I have tried to access that link with no joy- you wouldn't have any more info, by any chance :D ?

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:50 am

Wont load for me either, I have a pdf file of a home made furler if anyone wants it. I dont know how I would load it here so I can email it?