Easy 37 sail plan?

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
terryk

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by terryk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi builders, we spotted this Easy37 in Cooktown a couple of years ago, looking at his rig we wondered if he ran out of cash to finish the rig? I thought Easys` were meant to be cutter rigs :?: this one has no genoa and no diamond stays there maybe more missing I`m not a sailor :!:

( not yet ) Peters`plan show rig version 2 is this version 1 :?: I like things simple, is this rig OK :?: :?: thinking of money and time here :!: I was contemplating building the rig myself, take in the beautiful Endeavour river :!:

cheers

terryk

Smooth Cruiser

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:24 pm

My rig has no spreaders or diamonds either, just a simple spar. As far as I know this is as per the plan. I think with a conservative sail area rig such as this one then this is fine. Spreaders are really only required to get decent angle on the stays so they can support the mast, the large platform of the cat does this anyway so they aren't really required. I have talked to a couple of riggers who say for a cat a simple spar like the Easy's have is fine.

In terms of not having the staysail, this is up to individual choice, it is not required by any means. It does give redundancy in the forestay which is nice to have. I use my staysail as a storm jib only, it balances a double reefed main well. I find it doesn't do much if you try to set the staysail and the genoa at the same time, although beam reaching it does have a little benefit. I don't normally bother.

So, if you wanted to save the cost of a sail and a furler, and don't intend sailing much in strong winds (although despite best intentions you may need to at some point!!) leave it off. I would still keep the stay though just to avoid the risk of the mast falling over if the forestay snapped. I would also put on the tracks for the sheets etc at build stage, then you or a subsequent buyer could always add the staysail at a later date.

northerncat

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by northerncat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 am

building your own rig is a lot easier that way, making your own spreaders is a bit of a pain

sean

madaz

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by madaz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 am

My rig as designed has no spreaders either Terry, with 5.8 metres of beam and a strong mast section, they arent really needed.

Its very similar to the one in your photos, two fore stays, one full and one intermediate, two side stays each side, full and intermediate, the side stays are swept back meaning there is no back stay required.

I dont have a staysail on my sail plan but could hank on a small storm jib there if required.

keeps it simple

44c

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by 44c » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:53 pm

terryk wrote:Hi builders, we spotted this Easy37 in Cooktown a couple of years ago, looking at his rig we wondered if he ran out of cash to finish the rig? I thought Easys` were meant to be cutter rigs :?: this one has no genoa and no diamond stays there maybe more missing I`m not a sailor :!:

As far as I can see it IS a cutter. There's an inner forestay there.

It's a bit hard to tell if it has a genoa, since the headsail is furled. (A genoa is just a bigger headsail than a jib, extending beyond the foretriangle) Although looking at where the sheets are led to, you're probably right.

The boat has intermediate shrouds as well, so the mast is supported well enough.

terryk

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by terryk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks guys, I think I know which way I`m headed now :D

Cheers

terryk

Jim

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by Jim » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:14 pm

That boat was built on a block of land adjoining my back fence by a guy called Derek. The boat, an Easy 37 was built exactly as per the plan but delete the staysail. I have the "option 2 rig" on mine which has the spreader and does away with the 3 inner stays. Well I have it in a shed, not on the boat, yet.

Jim.

Bligh

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by Bligh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:45 pm

My Easy has a very similar set-up. The only problems I see are the high winds issue referred to earlier (I've used the Genoa up to 30 knots, but wouldn't want to go much further!) and the difficulty of sailing to windward as the angle on the Genoa restricts me to about 40-45 degrees to the wind.

I notice on the Easy web-site that some versions have a smaller headsail running to the centreline on top of the cabin. Any views about moving to this sort of rig?

Smooth Cruiser

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 pm

Quite a few are going with the sheets on the cabin roof rather than the side decks, as I understand it this is mostly as it allows the side deck width to be reduced and the full headroom width of the cabin increased.

As with any change to the design, the full ramifications of any such change need to be discussed in full with the designer and ideally agreed to by them. Most designers are very approachabel and open to such discussions.

Bligh

Easy 37 sail plan?

Post by Bligh » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:09 am

Thanks for that. Any thoughts on sailing performance of such a rig?