second hand sails

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
madaz

second hand sails

Post by madaz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Does any one know how feasible it is to cut down tri radial cut sails?

Jim

second hand sails

Post by Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi all, because of the "GFC" and other fiscal demands (read no money) I have found the prospect of buying a set of sails more and more daunting, however I came across a mob in Sydney from whom I have just bought a Main and a Genoa for $199 each, which is $4000 cheaper than my best quote on a pair of new ones. While these are "pre loved" sails and they don't measure exactly as per the sail plan for my boat they are very close and will be good enough until new ones are needed. So far I haven't found a S/sail anywhere near what I need, but will keep looking.

Jim.

Smooth Cruiser

second hand sails

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:17 am

Madaz - If you can cut it to where one of the exisitng panels finishes it shouldn't be any drama - if you can't it may end up with unbalanced stresses in the sail. Might not be an issue if it is just casual sailing you are doing but if things get breezy you might end up tearing things.

Jim - you won't really need a staysail for quite a while - it is primarily a strong wind sail and while you're learning the ropes you should be avoiding these days! (Not always possible of course!!). If you do get caught out in strong winds you can still keep yourself moving along in a controlled manner by furling up most of the jib, it just isn't as balanced or efficient as the staysail would be. The other time you use the staysail is in two sail reaching to get a bit more of a slot on the main, but again while you're just cruising happily around this isn't really necessary. So save the $$$'s on the staysail for a year or so and you won't miss it.

Jim

second hand sails

Post by Jim » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:49 am

Hi S/C, all sounds good, thanks.

Jim.

madaz

second hand sails

Post by madaz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:40 am

so who is the mob in Sydney Jim?

Jim

second hand sails

Post by Jim » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 am

Second Sails.

alan@secondsail.net

They are on Ebay and have heaps of sails for sale.

Jim.

puremajek

second hand sails

Post by puremajek » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:23 am

Following on from Jim above, found this blokes Second-hand Sail Store last week. He sells sail seconds and repair/making tapes & equipment

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Secondha ... QQ_armrsZ1
James