which winch chrome of aluminium?

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
terryk

Post by terryk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:14 am

Hi builders, I just received my first quote back for sheet winches (Arco) the quote states the same price for chrome winches and aluminium, what is all your preferences or is it just a weight thing :?:

cheers

terryk

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:15 am

I got aluminium ones, because of the weight. The chrome/bronze ones actually require less maintenance though, (although neither requires much) and I think their warranty is better. (Unconditional lifetime)

In other brands alloy winches are cheaper than chrome/bronze, but that's due to freight charges more than anything else.

On my boat the chrome/bronze winches would have weighed nearly 50kg more. Do the totals for your boat, then decide if the weight difference is significant to you.

Or maybe just decide based on which looks better to you.

jess

Post by jess » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:42 am

Terryk, Its been almost 20 years since I've owned a boat with Arco winches. I didn't own the boat for long as we sold it within 18 months of launching and half a circuit of Oz, to build a bigger boat. My memories of the arcos are not fond ones. Price was the motivation for the selection. I understand they were locally manufactured and at the time you were lucky to find two the same as the design etc changed regularly. Maybe things have changed. Remember, its only a rich man who can afford to buy cheap crap for his boat.

Regards.

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 am

I'd say a fair bit has changed in 20 years. I've had Arco's on my old boat since 2000, and they have worked perfectly, despite being slightly undersized.

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 am

I didn't like the weight of the bronze or the idea of soft ally so I ended up with Andersens. A 40st with S/S drum weighs 4.9 kg which is actually a little lighter than the Arco ally. A bit more expensive but its my baby. :roll: 8)

Mike

terryk

Post by terryk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi builders, I`m still waiting for the quote from Lewmar, I have the Arco and the Andersons so far, then it will be decision time :!: Arco 5 winches includes a 45st @ $3415, Anderson 5 winches but only a 40st @ $5548.00.

cheers

terryk

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:35 pm

I have Anderson because they came with the mast and deck hardware from Allyacht Spars.

Thay are very well engineered however the only experience I have with winches is on the front of my boat trailer. Doesn't quallify.

Jim.

terryk

Post by terryk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 pm

hi builders, I got the final quote back, 5 alum. Lewmars 2 x 40st, 1 x 30st and 2 x 30A @ $3276, I will have to decide before the quotes run out :!: Arco say that their prices will rise 8% come 1st of sept. The plans call for 45st, I will find out the price difference. The last quote is from Steve Morris at Barlow Distributors, an earlier post by I think Madaz stated that Steve would give good discounts to home builders, his prices are cheaper so far. non sailor question :?: has anyone had experience with Lewmar winches :?:

Cheers

Terryk

RW

Post by RW » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi Terry, is there any chance that you can send me the contact details for Lewmar. I am in the process of pricing all this as well. Also getting prices for Harken systems. If anyone has any contacts, local or overseas it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rod

madaz

Post by madaz » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Rod, email Steve Morris at Barlow Distributors,

barlow@hotkey.net.au

If you let him know what boat you are building and even better if you can give him a deck plan and specs on main sail and headsail sizes etc he will do you a complete quote.

They can supply portlights, hatches, winches, tracks, travellers, cars, blocks, rope clutches, deck organisers and windlasses etc. you can check out there gear at http://www.lewmar.com

Steve will supply you direct at trade prices on the condition that you are building the boat from scratch and not simply pulling the boat out and doing a refit. So for the purposes of the excercise dont bother telling him you bought it partially built, you have built it from scratch.

The thing i like particularly about there sail management gear is that alot of the blocks and cars can have additional parts added on to make the ideal unit you require and you can do that yourself. i.e. addins a rope jammer to a track end or beckets to cars etc.

Terry i have not heard anything bad about Lewmar stuff, they have been around for a L-O-N-G time.