which winch chrome of aluminium?

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
RW

Post by RW » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks Madaz, I never realised that they had so many products. I will contact Steve ASAP.

Rod

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:50 am

A chandler over here in the west gives very goooooood pricing on most things for the builder. He has beaten every price I have found anywhere except for overseas and then there wasn't much in it after frieght and tax. He claims he can arrange for people to pick up most things from their own state. If he can't give a good price he is up front and will tell you.

Might be worth a try

Chris Gaudet

http://WWW.boatinghardware.com

Mike

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:30 pm

terryk wrote:hi builders, I got the final quote back, 5 alum. Lewmars 2 x 40st, 1 x 30st and 2 x 30A @ $3276, I will have to decide before the quotes run out :!: Arco say that their prices will rise 8% come 1st of sept. The plans call for 45st, I will find out the price difference. The last quote is from Steve Morris at Barlow Distributors, an earlier post by I think Madaz stated that Steve would give good discounts to home builders, his prices are cheaper so far. non sailor question :?: has anyone had experience with Lewmar winches :?:
Cheers
Terryk

If the plans call for 45's then that should be the absolute smallest you'd consider using. With winches bigger is pretty much always better.

You need to get quotes for the same sizes from all the brands before deciding.

Andersons are competitively priced up to their 46ST. For some reason, their prices above that become comparitively much more exxy.

You'll find Lewmar winches on a heck of a lot of charter boats, like Benetau's etc. They must be OK or they wouldn't use them. About the only thing I'm not keen on is the plastic self-tailing jaws. Plastic out in the full sun just doesn't sit well with me. But I haven't heard of any problems with them.

jess

Post by jess » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:00 am

If the plans call for 45's then that should be the absolute smallest you'd consider using. With winches bigger is pretty much always better.

You need to get quotes for the same sizes from all the brands before deciding.

Andersons are competitively priced up to their 46ST. For some reason, their prices above that become comparitively much more exxy.

You'll find Lewmar winches on a heck of a lot of charter boats, like Benetau's etc. They must be OK or they wouldn't use them. About the only thing I'm not keen on is the plastic self-tailing jaws. Plastic out in the full sun just doesn't sit well with me. But I haven't heard of any problems with them.[/quote]

Whilst rafted up with other boats awaiting the breeze a while back, we compared the power provided by each others different brands of winches by noting the number of winch handle turns required to move 2 meters of sheet and were surprised to find that the different brands appeared to use different formulae for determining what numbers to stamp on their winched. So maybe its not quite as easy as noting the numbers and believing the buggers.