MAST FINISHES

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
madaz

MAST FINISHES

Post by madaz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:39 am

I would be interested to hear anyone views on what their mast is going to be finished with, or has been finished with? and any issues.

Anodising looks very nice but $$ and I gather it is wise to have everything cut and machined before anodising otherwise your cutting through what big dollars paid for.

A friend of mine who sold his mono after 20 years had nothing on it whatsoever and it only got a light tarnish coat on the surface.

then there is clear coats "Nylac" or something.

44c

MAST FINISHES

Post by 44c » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Nyalic: http://www.nyalic.com/index.html

Or paint. I'm not sure yet. The bloke who sold me the mast section said I shouldn't leave it bare though.

I like the look of a painted mast better, but I think a clear finish would be easier to maintain in the long run.

Smooth Cruiser

MAST FINISHES

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Speaking of mast finishes . . . you finished yours yet Sean??

jess

MAST FINISHES

Post by jess » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:24 am

44c wrote:Nyalic: http://www.nyalic.com/index.html

Or paint. I'm not sure yet. The bloke who sold me the mast section said I shouldn't leave it bare though.

I like the look of a painted mast better, but I think a clear finish would be easier to maintain in the long run.

Anyone who reckons you've got to paint an aluminium mast is a half wit.

If you want to make an ally dingy look nice for a very short period of time, then you paint it. The same applies to a mast. Mine has been unpainted now for over 10 years and is in perfect condition. A mate who launched around the same time and painted, is presently digging out the pitting caused by the acid that forms in the corrosive process not being able to escape, before repainting. Why I ask? Vanity?.

I have heard of people wet and dry sanding their spar with fine grits before leaving uncoated with good results. Personally I was happy with 220 random orbit to knock off any marks before leaving.

If you leave uncoated its cheaper lighter and doesn't need touching again. Nothing looks worse than a painted spar 12 months down the track with scatches and bubbles all over it. And no it doesn't leave marks on your sails.l

f82r62

MAST FINISHES

Post by f82r62 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:09 am

On my previous boat - an F82R - I used tectyl on all the aluminium parts. This product designed to preserve and protect aluminium. It is a tough clear finish and a small amount goes a long way. I cleaned the aluminium first with a scotch pad and water to remove the oxide then when dry spayed on the tectyl. I bought it at Super Cheap Autos. Sold in pressure pack cans. Only problem is that aluminium coated in tectyl cannot be anodised later. harry

44c

MAST FINISHES

Post by 44c » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 am

jess wrote:
44c wrote:Nyalic: http://www.nyalic.com/index.html

Anyone who reckons you've got to paint an aluminium mast is a half wit.

He didn't say I should paint it, he said I shouldn't leave it bare. As I said.

This "half wit" has a business manufacturing rigs for several top end Australian boat builders, including one-design racing fleets. I'd say he has a fair idea what he is talking about.

I know a couple of people who painted their own rigs, and both have turned out very satisfactory jobs. One boat is 16 years old now, and the mast paint is still excellent. Not one trace of blistering or bubbling.

My old boat was 25 years old, the paint on the mast was still pretty good.

If you do a crap job it obviously won't last as long.