staunchion height

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
terryk

staunchion height

Post by terryk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi builders, I`m contemplating purchasing my staunchions, what is the consensus on the height , you can buy 550mm, 610mm and 740mm heights. Small, medium and large people :? I feel that they are all too short :!:( I`m 162cm TALL ) or maybe I`m relating the height to a balcony rail knowing that you shouldn`t be able to fall off :!: Maybe the staunchions are only there to stop you from rolling off :roll:

cheers

terryk

Whimsical

staunchion height

Post by Whimsical » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:35 pm

i am using some composite tubes from Excel they will make what u want. i ordered 780 mm which is a comfortble hand hieght but i'm only 1.75 meters. Even that hieght is a little low to stop u tripping over them i think.

MIke

Jim

staunchion height

Post by Jim » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:18 am

I have always considered staunchions to be something to grab hold of as you are launching off the side of the boat into the never never and not something to stop you if you were standing. Mine have steadied me in rough water while moving around but they sure aren't like a balcony rail.

Jim.

Smooth Cruiser

staunchion height

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:31 am

Staunchions and life lines are really just there to give you a sense of security so you can move arouind without feeling exposed!

Well - they do a bit more than that - but as Jim says they are not going to stop you like a balcony rail will - they are just something to hold while you move around or a catch if you go slithering down the decks.

On a mono they are just something to lean on while you are being ballast on the rail.

puremajek

staunchion height

Post by puremajek » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Terry

We went middle of the road in size. Jim and SC's comments are spot on (...I think anyway). The misconception that are there to grab onto while walking the sides, is so true. They are really there as the last line of defense and will be damaged when used.

To get around this we strategically placed grab rails on the turret roof and together with the middle-stays, make it much easier and safer to walk down the sides in rough weather (you are leaning in rather than out - if you get what I mean).

Just moving off stanchions for a minute and adding to the safety comments, in rough weather and when sailing on my own, we use the harness connection on the safety vest. This is clipped to 4 meters of 2000kg line to either of four secure points on the vessel. So if the stanchions don't hold and one falls, worst case is that they trail at the back of the aft step. Bit more to it than just this though, but for another thread.

Hope this helps
James

nuotykis

staunchion height

Post by nuotykis » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:06 am

A book I read recently recommends not having stanchions at all. I question that. Where do you tie the fenders?

For buildings balustrades are 1000 high to meet current building codes. Only a few years ago it was 900 high. Stair rails are still 875 above the nosing of a stair tread.

Having said that I agree with the other comments above.

Brent

terryk

staunchion height

Post by terryk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:43 pm

The thought of having NOTHING really scares me :!: I guess it gets back to price and personal choice.

cheers

terryk

darwincat

staunchion height

Post by darwincat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 am

Here is a good example of no stanchions.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/308 ... 6b0c50.jpg

Jim

staunchion height

Post by Jim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:31 am

I had a couple of drinks on Mango a few weeks ago at Bluewater Marina, we had a "boat crawl" and a few ales on a few different boats and everything on Mango can be done from the rear cockpit area, and the front is handled via a walk through door in the front of the cabin. There is a flat area at the base of the mast in front of the cabin where their young kids can hang out in safety (you stand in an area with four sides about waste high) as well as all the forward sailing type jobs can be carried out. With this layout there is no need to be outside the boat on either side. It sure is different. I think it is an Oram.

Jim.

44c

staunchion height

Post by 44c » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Yep, Mango was Bob's own boat. Bob really is an advocate of having both aft and forward cockpits, and IMO on bigger boats they make a hell of a lot of sense. On smaller boats they do take a fair chunk out of your saloon though.