Hidden Deck Lines?

Rigging components, external fittings and Sails
rexd666
Site Admin

Hidden Deck Lines?

Post by rexd666 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:50 am

OK I have seen a few production boats with their lines hidden within the deck. So how do they do it, how do you replace the lines, details and photos if you have them.

More interested in the how, over the pros and cons :?

Dreamtime

Hidden Deck Lines?

Post by Dreamtime » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am

Hey Rexd666

I know what you mean, however this is not answering the exact question, but have a look at this

http://home.ozonline.com.au/f41_sail33/DWCh29.htm

for an unusual way of running the lines. I stumbled on this today while looking through some unusual websites.

Cheers
Scotty & René

Dreamtime

Hidden Deck Lines?

Post by Dreamtime » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:23 am

Also look at http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... forum=easy in the Multi section. There are pics showing where the lines come through from the mast to the centre of the deck. Madaz may be able to get more info as it is in his shed (unless it is now in the H2O)

Cheers
Scotty & René

puremajek

Hidden Deck Lines?

Post by puremajek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:28 pm

The new 'barefoot' by Grainger has them. I gather that lines can be 'fed through' for the most part and where there are sheaves, there are movable panel/cover/doors. Looks very nice but would add to weight.

I am one in favour of external lines, especially for changes genoa position. In addition, moulded stanchion bases (unless eyes are present on the base) do not permit using these points as a snapshackle/sheave points. We even use them with the spinnaker in light winds.

All this flexibility would not be possible with internal lines.
James

mahnamahna

Hidden Deck Lines?

Post by mahnamahna » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:00 am

The 3 of us building the bi rig cats will have our main halyards, spinnaker, and foresail halyards all run down through the inside of the mast, into the top of the post and out the side of the post inside the boat, Mike is thinking he might then send them through the hull to the outside of the boat and run along the underside of the bridgedeck on the chamfer panel on the outside of the boat to the last bulkhead then back in and up that bulkhead to the deck. One reason is that there is nothing obstructing the travel, that is no bulkheads on the outside of the hull so the lines can travel inside conduits without having to pass through bulkheads.

I dont like this idea as much because for me that means changing halyards is harder, getting a new line through a conduit 5 meters long underneath the bridgedeck for me is not an attractive prospect, so I prefer instead to have them run down the chamfer panel on the inside of each hull (yes through each bulkhead and all of the furniture I have already fitted!!!!) but because the lines will travel inside furniture or under steps etc all the way I plan to have the lines in the open, that is not enclosed in conduit the entire way, and only go through conduits at the bulkheads or furniture walls and the conduit will be copper pipe, flanged at each end so that the rope cannot catch on it and so that any friction cannot cut through easily like it may with plastic conduit. (To ensure nothing inside cupboards can foul the lines, I will just fit removable false backs into each cupboard where the lines are, a very easy solution)

Originally we had hoped that the lines would exit the post at the deck (just above) and then travel along the deck tight up against the cabin sides to the winches, but the engineer has told us that it compromises the structure of the posts at a point of high load and would not allow it and of course the lines must pass down the inside of the masts because being rotating masts the lines cannot run down the outside and then be anchored to the deck and allow the masts to rotate, and of course cleated off through fairleads is the same as being anchored to the deck. So exiting inside the boat, then traveling aft to the rear bulkhead back up the bulkhead and through the deck (directly above what for me is already a wet area, the outboard wells, so water through the line exit sheave slots into this area is fine) to a point behind the deck winches via fairleads with lever cams on them (3 on each side).

I doubt I will ever run foresails or spinnaker but the lines will be there for them should I ever want to. So the only ones that will really get worked are the main halyards. And then each one will have a sheet from boom end to deck just in front of the same deck winches (we really only need those 2 winches). Some might put a small winch on the cabin roof each side to control foresail sheets, for overlapping foresails, the same deck winch could handle a smaller foresail sheet or they could be attached to self tacking travelers (I may fit these, but doubt now that I will bother with the cabin top winches even though I already have them).

The upshot of all of this is that our halyards will be concealed and we really dont have any say in that, there really isnt any other way if we want our lines led back to the cockpit. The only other alternative is winches on the masts and lines that exit the mast above the post bearings.