Windows

Any see-through bits
Bruce

Windows

Post by Bruce » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Just to add to all of the above.......

I have just installed polycarbonate "solarsafe" sheets to the roof of my shed/cat house.

For once in my life I actually read the label on the sheets before installation, which reads:-

"WARNING, Do not use ordinary silicone sealants as they weaken the sheet and void warranty.

ONLY USE CO-POLYMER SEALANT SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH POLYCARBONATE.

Suitable sealants are available from Ampelite."

I haven't visited the Ampelite site yet, and not sure if what is written above applies to polycarbonate sheeting the thickness of which is suitable for boat windows.

Whimsical

Windows

Post by Whimsical » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:11 am

I don't think you can just differentiate between acrylic and polycarb as both have extruded and cast variants. Any extruded material has built in stresses and it is these that cause the crazing with time. I used to use both in a previous life for architectural signage and did see the difference in a few years. The cast is a lot more expensive but I think far more servicable for windows unless you like maintainence. I don't know much about polycarb but there is a discussion going on over at cruisers forum. Some have suggested that polycarb deteriorates far faster than acrylic in UV and with the far higher rate of expansion and low resistance to elongation under load cast acrylic is the superior choice.

I will be looking for cast acrylic with surface treatments to reduce deterioration, IF it is available.

Mike

madaz

Windows

Post by madaz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm

James, do you know what the going rate for a square metre or otherwise is for acrylic or polycarbonate at present?

mySerenity

Windows

Post by mySerenity » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:07 pm

Madaz

Not sure of the price now, I paid $100 per metric sheet 18 months back and used three sheets comfortably. I have received information contrary to some data mentioned in this thread with regard to the types and qualities, so I can't comment as to which would be a better choice. I've gone the polycarbonate way.
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

northerncat

Windows

Post by northerncat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 am

220 for a 8*4 sheet here in cairns today

sean

madaz

Windows

Post by madaz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:49 am

I had a look through a Grainger 1060 today, very interesting. The builder used polycarbonate sheet attached with some sort of double sided tape and a black sikaflex sealer, the windows on the side were a tinted acrylic and the ones on the back of the bridgedeck area were clear acrylic.

The interesting bit was after he had the windows cut he took them to a window tint place and had a film applied which is similar to that which is used on widows in high rise buildings in that it reflects away heat. thus preserving the sealer and tape under neath and not exposing it to the extreme heat/cool cycles of the day etc. The tint gives a mirror like reflection and looked first class. food for thought.