Window Tinting

Any see-through bits
44c

Window Tinting

Post by 44c » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:36 pm

This thread was started to accommodate the high level of interest and input mixed in other threads........Admin

Jim wrote:Looks fantastic. I notice you have flush mounted windows. Make sure you give them at least 5mm clearance all around, I didn't and the longer ones have popped in the heat of the day. More work.
Jim.

Thanks for the tip. Bob has been suggesting a minimum 10mm clearance all round, which is probably what I'll do.

I'm also thinking about trying clear perspex with reflective tint film on the outside, which hopefully should keep the heat out of the perspex.

Tinted perspex gets very hot.

mahnamahna

Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:51 pm

That sounds like a great idea, 44. The hatches I import from the US are glass lenses and the tint is mild in comparison to the dark tint available on acrylic so I have been thinking about buying silver tint film and applying it to them.

With clear perspex and reflective film do you still get a tinted visual out during the day? Does the silver film achieve this? It would seem that this idea had a lot of pluses and not too many minuses. I would imagine that if the light is reflected off the perspex (acrylic?) another advantage would be that crazing is delayed if not eliminated, the down side would be that after a while you will get bubbling in your tint film so that it might end up looking like a 88 Hyundai. Am very keen to see how this works for you.

Cheers, Paul

swanncat

Window Tinting

Post by swanncat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi 44c,

your cats looking great..

when we were looking at acrylics there was a clear polycarbonate that we were thinking of using and having black shade covers over them. This product is warranteed for 30 years(the tinted 10 years)

44c

Window Tinting

Post by 44c » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:50 pm

mahnamahna wrote:That sounds like a great idea, 44. The hatches I import from the US are glass lenses and the tint is mild in comparison to the dark tint available on acrylic so I have been thinking about buying silver tint film and applying it to them.

With clear perspex and reflective film do you still get a tinted visual out during the day? Does the silver film achieve this? It would seem that this idea had a lot of pluses and not too many minuses. I would imagine that if the light is reflected off the perspex (acrylic?) another advantage would be that crazing is delayed if not eliminated, the down side would be that after a while you will get bubbling in your tint film so that it might end up looking like a 88 Hyundai. Am very keen to see how this works for you.

Cheers, Paul

G'day Paul, yeah the reflective tint is actually a fairly dark shade - about 80%. I have to admit it's not my idea, I saw a boat in Multihull World done this way.

The tint film goes on the outside, and apparently you have to try to seal the edges of the film as well as possible or bubbling later could be an issue. According to the article the film is actually more scratch resistant than the perspex, which is another plus.

My back windows, which are under the cockpit roof, are clear perspex, so I'm going to get an offcut of this and tint it and leave it out in the sun and see how it goes.

Cheers, Alan.

mahnamahna

Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks Allan, I have another question regarding the curved saloon windows, if you have them. Would you tint the perspex flat on a bench pre installation or tint the perspex curved on the boat post installation? If you tinted the perspex first perhaps you could continue a bead of sika over the perspex to create a seal for the tint when installing? Cheers, Paul

mahnamahna

Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Woops, sorry about the extra L in your name...

Jim

Window Tinting

Post by Jim » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi all, there is a good article in Australian Multihull World #91 July/August 2008 on the subject of external mirror tinting, well worth a read if you are thinking of going down that path. I was but the bank balance said NO.

Jim.

madaz

Window Tinting

Post by madaz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:38 am

Jim, Alan, if the article in Multihull world is the one by colin Mcgregor covering the mirror tint on his boat Emazing (Grainger) Colin lives 40 minutes from me and I have pawed over his boat a few times. His windows/tint have not given him any problems at all and still look fantastic. the tint is impossible to see through from outside the boat under normal conditions. From the inside the level of tint is fairly light so it does not cut down the light inside the boat that much at all. Which i thought was a plus.

mahnamahna

Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:44 am

Yes Colin McGregor is the author. Good to hear it all works well. I think this might be the path I take. Did Colin use clear perspex to start?

Paul

Smooth Cruiser

Window Tinting

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 am

I talked to a few window tinting places about tinting my windows and they both said that you shouldn't tint anything that wasn't glass as the acrylic and polycarbonate release a slight gas when they heat up which over time causes the tint to bubble. Not sure how bad this may be, probably worse in hotter climates. You do see some around tinted but I wonder about the longevity. Anyway - worst case it bubbles and you peel it off I guess . . .

Maybe something to consider?