Window Tinting

Any see-through bits
Smooth Cruiser

Window Tinting

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 am

Yeah they look pretty good and do a good job of giving visibility while blocking out the sun. Still need some other arrangement to give privacy in a marina though.

I have seen a Perry 57' with individually made cute little eyebrow awnings over each window, all stainless tube with little canvas shades threaded onto them. Probably quite effective and looked excellent but the work!! :shock: :shock: And these could still be snagged by a flogging jib sheet fairly easily.

I have ended up plain windows with curtains inside for privacy and for sun protection when needed.

mahnamahna

Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:59 am

Last Thursday I was walking through a shopping centre and there was a mall stand for a house awning company and one of the items they had was aluminum shutters that I thought would work really well on the boat...until I heard the price, $800 each for 1800mm x 600mm. I would only need half that size high but probably need about 1200mm wide which they do but I would need 4 of them so even at half the price, the cost would be close to $1600. But the idea was great. They would work in the same way as those pictured above when open and close completely and would act as a great storm shield and of course privacy if needed. Like an internal blind but for outside the window. A good idea but heavy and expensive. I still like the idea but too hard for now.

44c

Window Tinting

Post by 44c » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:27 pm

madaz wrote:I think all Colins windows were lightly tinted to start with except the two in the back wall of the bridgedeck cabin. i think...

From memory he said he would of used clear if he had known the end result.

I will see what is happening tomorrow at work as I am in need of a long ride so i might head down that way and confirm with him. I was down there two weeks ago and he had his boat out on the beach and was doing some transom extensions to stop the waves slapping. if it is still out i will see if i can get a few photos inside. his main objective was the metalic coating would reflect the heat away from the inside of the boat and the window sealing compound, also helping to preserve the windows and help stop them crazing.

The end result was a light bright boat inside. which has good privacy/security also.

I will see how i go and post some pics if i can,

Hey Tony, any updates on this?

44c

Window Tinting

Post by 44c » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:43 pm

I've found a tint film designed for use on polycarboante and acrylic windows.

It's called Polygard: http://www.sungardballarat.com.au/p_filmFlat.html

madaz

Window Tinting

Post by madaz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:17 am

missed your previous message, Colin is coming over this weekend, i will try and get onto it soon and post a pic or two.

madaz

Window Tinting

Post by madaz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:54 am

Alan, Paul and who ever else may be interested. at long last I have managed to get some photos of the Grainger fitted with reflective tint wndows, sorry for the delay. The tint is applied to the outside of Colins acrylic wndow and was supplied and fitted by "Tint a car" franchise in Hobart the product is what they called "Solar Film 80".

I beleive Colins acrylic was a light tint before the product was applied rather than an outright clear acrylic window. some of the photos are the same as what fetured in Multihull world issue 91 in the article colin wrote. however that article did not show any photos of the view through the windows from the inside. which is very clear and bright. from the outside you cant see in which is great!

[img=http://img35.picoodle.com/img/img35/2/6 ... 723f58.jpg]

Romeo

Window Tinting

Post by Romeo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 am

Looks good but what is the view like at night. I've heard that tinted windows are good for night time sailing

Romeo

44c

Window Tinting

Post by 44c » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:19 pm

IMO the watch keeper should go out to the cockpit and look around on a regular basis anyway.

How well is the film holding out, do you know Tony?

Funny, I rang my nearest "Tint-a-car" because of that article, and they virtually predicted the end of civilization if you even thought about tinting plastic windows.

So I did my own research and found the film that is specifically made for acrylic and polycarbonate. Can be used inside or out.

madaz

Window Tinting

Post by madaz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:56 am

The boat has been in the water just over two years, there have been no problems what so ever with the windows. I think the attitude of tinta car here was, "we cant gaurantee it but we will do it if you want"

so far so good. i would imagine after 2 summers if something was going to happen it would have started by now.

mahnamahna

Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:57 am

madaz wrote:The boat has been in the water just over two years, there have been no problems what so ever with the windows. I think the attitude of tinta car here was, "we cant gaurantee it but we will do it if you want"
so far so good. i would imagine after 2 summers if something was going to happen it would have started by now.

Not necessarily Tony, things like bubbles and crazing in unprotected acyrylic is degenerative, so they slowly get progressively worse but up to a point the problems are undetectable. That said, I would imagine that 2 years and still crystal would suggest that after 5 they should still be very good, which is more than some people would say about the crazing of their acrylics. I am convinced. I will certainly be going down this way. They look fantastic.

Cheers, Paul