Window Tinting

Any see-through bits
mySerenity

Window Tinting

Post by mySerenity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 am

Some feedback from our window tinting. We bought the polycarbonate tinted and from the cockpit, looking forward through two tinted windows at dusk is difficult. Would we tint again? Yes, I believe the tint to be worth its weight in gold especially in the warmer climates.

We have since made canvas covers to cover all turrett windows and each have pockets where we insert 'sun-shades' (the ones sold for cars). This has reduced the heating 50% when locked up. While sailing, leaving the front turret covers on also acts like eyebrows and provides additional shade in an area that normally gets very hot.
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

mahnamahna

Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:20 am

Any chance of some pics James?

mySerenity

Window Tinting

Post by mySerenity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:40 pm

Will be down there next week, will grab some
James

mySerenity

Window Tinting

Post by mySerenity » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:12 am

Paul

Real simple, have made a sleeve in the canvas that takes the car-shades (cut to size).

With the windows open, there is a fair amount of shade internally and we just vary them to keep sun out when nose into wind.

We also have covers for the whole back which can be put on partially or totally, sealing out all elements/sun/wind etc.
James

mahnamahna

Re: Window Tinting

Post by mahnamahna » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi everyone, I am in the process of setting out and cutting out my windows and I thought I would revisit this thread. Tony (Madaz) you posted some pics of Colin McGregors silver tinted Grainger. In the move to this location the pics no longer work, any chance they can be re-posted.

Also any further update on the issue of tinting poly carb windows with an exterior silver tint?

One more question, on some of the ebay sales for the silver tint they claim that the silver reflects on the side with the brighter light, so during the day, the outside reflects and looks silver and you cant see in, but at night with the lights on inside and dark out, your windows become reflective (mirrors) and you cant see out. Is this a problem? My initial thought was nope, no good, if you cant see out at night that might be a problem, but then I thought, if its pitch dark out, what can you see if you can see out anyway?

Thoughts?

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 am

I've discovered one thing: If you put the tint film on the outside, you MUST seal around the edges. Water will get under the film and ruin it if you don't. My front windows now need to be redone. Major PITA. Wish I'd known, it would have been pretty easy to seal them.

Other than that, the tinting works really well at keeping the heat out.

The reflectivity at night is true, but to me it's not an issue. If you're sailing at night you keep the boat dark inside anyway, or you'll wreck your night vision. At anchor it doesn't really matter. In fact, if you had the boat lit up on the inside you wouldn't be able to see out even if the windows were clear.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:49 pm

When you say seal, do you mean a smear of the sealant from the main join seal extending out over the edge of the tint film. Isnt the edge of the window slightly chamfered? I assume then that the film edges stop at the edge of the chamfer, so say 1mm from the edge of the perspex? So the main seal would be coved out over the chamfer edge then over the tint film so about 2mm in further than you would otherwise spread the sealant?

Is my understanding correct?

And another question, there are a number of materials for making dark tint windows, Lexan (Polycarbonate), Plexiglass (Acrylic) and Perspex. Can anyone explain the benefits/disadvantages of each and do each of them come in clear?

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:39 pm

How I should have sealed it was by laying several layers of masking tape maybe 5-10 mm inside the edge of the perspex, then spread the sealant over that. I did this, but only with one layer of tape, so the sealant was very thin in places. A layer about 1mm thick would have been enough.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Sorry Alan, still not quite following. Are you saying layers of tape 5 - 10mm around the edge toward the middle of the window, so 5 - 10mm of window from the edge exposed so that the tape is forming a damm for the sealant from the edge to the tape to the edge of the window frame would be about 15mm assuming a 5mm gap between edge of window and edge of window frame, and perhaps the tape is acting as a trim height for the squeegee so that when removed it leaves a layer of sealant to the height that the tape wall was?

Do I have it right?

And in order to redo the task, does sealant stick to sealant or do you need to remove the set sealant and redo the entire job?

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:32 am

Yes, sounds like you understand what I mean. Basically you want a decent layer of sealant over the edge of the film.

By redo, I mean I need to remove my tint, and replace it. Water has gotten under it and lifted it in "tracks"