Window Tinting

Any see-through bits
rexd666
Site Admin

Re: Window Tinting

Post by rexd666 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 pm

FYI just around the point of Visible light transmission on tinting, the visible light transmission is not a measure of how effective the window will be at preventing heat gain. U-value and SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coefficient) are the ones used in glazing. From my understanding U-value is like the heat transmitted through the window, ie window is hot to touch in summer, and SHGC is the solar radiation that passes through and heats objects up. U-value works in reverse in the cold to keep heat in.

http://www.agga.org.au/energy-efficienc ... w-it-works

Low visible light transmission will always go hand in hand with low SHGC as they tend to be the dark grey tints that block all light well. Speaking from glass, green glass can achieve nearly the same SHGC as grey, and give 70% the visible light transmission versus 40%.

The 3M films I looked at quickly included U-Value and SHGC in the brochures. They even have night vision range, which must prevent them becoming mirrors at night.
Steve

44c

Re: Window Tinting

Post by 44c » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:25 pm

mahnamahna wrote:Hi Allan, hope you are still around. What are your thoughts. Would you still go with outside over inside? On the one hand the film lasts longer but the windows may craze faster, on the other hand the film degrades faster but the windows are protected more.
To be honest, I don't know. Ask me in a few years!

It's worth buying the 3m VHB structural glazing tape, and the best sealant for acrylic is Dow Corning 791 silicon sealant. Apparently acrylic is quite hard to get a good bond to, polycarbonate is easier.