Curved acyrlic windows

Any see-through bits
Whimsical

Curved acyrlic windows

Post by Whimsical » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:28 pm

My cabin sides are nice and curvy but that makes the windows a bit more work.
I am fairing the cutout bits to use as moulds, pix in my build thread, but they are the same size as the acrylic will be. I was told by a fabricator i need 50mm all round so they can clamp the window down while it cools. :o I was hoping the sheet would just droop and conform to the shape as it got hot enough.
Has anyone been through this exercise yet themselves or had them made. I used to have some contacts in this area years ago but they all seem to have retired now. :cry:

Mike

44c

Re: Curved acyrlic windows

Post by 44c » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am

I got some perspex bent for a cupboard front. The bit that was bent did have to be bigger than needed then the finished article cut out. The edges don't curve properly, they go a bit wavy.

I supplied a template of the required curve too, and made it quite a bit bigger.

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Update
Found a fabricator here with an oven large enough to do the job. He would like a bigger surround but is happy to do it with the slightly over sized moulds. It will be done in 10mm clear and i will use the metalized film like 44c used.
Cost for the 6 windows which will use 2 8x4 sheets and half of a 6x12 sheet will be 2,800 + gst, not too bad i think. Take him the moulds tomorrow and should have them in 2 weeks

groper

Post by groper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Ive also been told by the fabricator that he wants 50mm oversize... i havnt asked if he can do them from a smaller peice yet... if so, it shouldnt be too much work to extend the edges using the boat as the mold...

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 am

Mike I assume only the corner windows need to be molded and go into the oven, the front 2 are flat and the side 2 only curve in a little at the front top corner but are also otherwise flat. Is this the case?

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 am

the side ones are as u say just the top corner but the front ones have quite a curve as well on the outer area. Too much to try and cold form it i think

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 pm

By keeping my middle mullion to only 200mm wide and only 900mm wide windows, my front windows are flat and from memory fell entirely within the panel that joined the wrap around.