Honda Bf 15/20 Xtra long Problem.

Outboards or inboards, electric, fuel or diesel, cavitaion and torque talk
Jim

Honda Bf 15/20 Xtra long Problem.

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Some time last year the starter on my Starboard engine was struggling to turn the engine over after it had been idle for a couple of weeks. It was like a flat battery, weak starter or a bad connection type of thing. When it started it would run as per normal then start normally until I was back in the marina and left it until the next trip, then same thing.
I worked out that it was a bush in the lower leg extension unique to the Xtra Long setup, this brass bush gives the longer drive shaft additional support. What was happening was the bush/shaft were seizing when not in use for some time. It has happened again to the Port engine this time and really seized so much so that I had to remove the whole trunk and gearbox then hammer the shaft out. What I did was to increase the bush inside diameter with emery paper wound onto the end of a dowel then spun in a drill. I made the fit like a co#k in a sock so there is no chance of another seizure but it will still stop the shaft flogging around too much.
I think Honda have stuffed up with this, as the bush, which is dry except for some sea water splashing up there, should have been made out of a composite material which would never lock up.
My advice to anyone with the same engines is to drop the lower box off and give that bush more clearance, because you don’t need this to happen in the future.
Jim.

rexd666
Site Admin

Re: Honda Bf 15/20 Xtra long Problem.

Post by rexd666 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:05 am

ROFLMAO Never heard that particular expression. My size 12-14 Explorers are a very big sock.

DA

Post by DA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Another issue with the BF20 is the crankshaft pulley is made of a composite with an aluminium insert, ,which are susceptible to failure. I had both mine fail within 15 mins of each other , and only a total of 25 hours on each motor.
They usually spit the timing belt off the top and if your real unlucky you bend some valves,
Luckily they were covered under the 5 year warranty Honda gives out , they were replaced with new "upgraded composite pulley", so after some research on the Internet I found this is a common issue, and got onto a guy in Scotland who makes replacement pulleys in solid billet aluminium . So I have ordered 2 and will replace them when my 5 year warranty runs out or when these new plastic ones fail.......
image.jpg
image.jpg

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:17 am

Can you give us some contact details for the guy in Scotland?

DA

Post by DA » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Contact details as follows........

Alan Young

T. 01387 740404
F. 01387 740545

alanyoungeng@btconnect.com

Alan Young Engineering
Burnhead
Dumfries
DG2 0RS

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Many thanks! :)

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Wed May 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Jim I, just five weeks ago, had the same problem with my stb BF25a. Mine are secondhand 98's and we soon knew the problem after trying to turn the drive shaft fly wheel by hand... After seen their wear before installing for launch last July...I had wanted to replace then but parts supply was clumsy and time wouldn't accommodate.
Present..We also suspected poor spark but it started fine on refit... Just the one time and no more!
Now I'm trying to replace the excitor coil, after troubleshooting and parts swapping to confirm.
But this part is out of stock in Japan and won't be manufactured without a backlog of orders...crap. Honda Japan only disclosed this delay when my supplier had to enquire after my patient waiting for 3 weeks... been stuck on our mooring for 5 weeks now... Not happy!
Not a lot of wreckers in NZ so I'm e-mailing Aus wreckers.
No match on eBay currently.
No after market match.
Any good leads would be much appreciated!

Regards, Matt.
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)