polishing stainless bar

Those shiney bits
northerncat

polishing stainless bar

Post by northerncat »

if like me your interested in making your own chainplates to save a few dollars. then you need to know how to polish the stainless flatbar which has a mill finish. now the way i did it was cheap effective and only took about an 1 1/2 hrs for all my chainplates. firstly you need to cut your chainplates to the desired length and shape the corners which i did using an angle grinder with a cutting disc to cut the corners off to a 45 degree anlge, then i used a grinding disc to shape them to a curve, i finally used a bench grinder to clean them up nicely, now you need to get out a belt sander and all the old sanding belts that youve kept for just such a job, i started off with worn old 40 grit and moved up the grades till i had it polished with 150, i fdressed it with a couple of 220s on a random orbital and it looks pretty schmick

sean
northerncat

polishing stainless bar

Post by northerncat »

320 grit is the equivalent of the first grade of polished stainless tube you can buy and 600grit is what they sell as mirro finish, mine has a very good brushed look

sean
terryk

polishing stainless bar

Post by terryk »

Hi Sean, and after you have finished grinding your chainplates send them to an electro polishing company to finish them off. The process brings out the chrome at the surface level by etching away the steel and leaving the chrome. This is at a couple of microns level and has no detremental effect on the plate. It will look like it has been chrome plated. Try this Cairns company. The process is used to cleanup weathered s/s boat parts.

Electro Shine

Unit 9 60 Fearnley St Cairns QLD 4870

ph: 0408 020 608

Cheers

Terryk
northerncat

polishing stainless bar

Post by northerncat »

is it cheap?

sean
Jim

polishing stainless bar

Post by Jim »

Hi Sean, I wouldn't go for the brushed look, it will be brown and "rusty" in no time. The better the polish the better it resists staining, and it will stain, it is just a matter of time. Also the higher the gloss the easier it is to keep that way. You only have to walk around any marina and check out all the s/s fittings to confirm what I said. If the other process is too expensive, the Endeavour Foundation on Aulmuller St does a good job, and at a good price. Don't stare at any of my family while you are there though, they don't like it.

Jim.
terryk

polishing stainless bar

Post by terryk »

Hi Sean, I`m not sure of the price I haven`t had mine done yet. Jim is right in what he is saying, the better polished finish you can get ( like a chrome bumper bar, if you can remember them!!) the longer you will keep the rusty look away. You really need to burnish the surface and not open the grain.

Cheers

Terry
44c

polishing stainless bar

Post by 44c »

Is there any way of doing composite chainplates on the Easy? Orams and Schionnings have them, (among many others) they are pretty straightforward to make, and won't rust EVER.
Whimsical

polishing stainless bar

Post by Whimsical »

44c wrote:Is there any way of doing composite chainplates on the Easy? Orams and Schionnings have them, (among many others) they are pretty straightforward to make, and won't rust EVER.

If the load is spread over a sufficient area composite versions must be doable.

I am going to make as much use of composites over SS as possible purely due to the rust problem. Stauntions and lines, rudder shafts, cleats, bridal fittings and the biggy, unstayed masts.

Anyone got any ideas on making composite push and pullpits.
44c

polishing stainless bar

Post by 44c »

A pushpit on a cat? I don't know that I've ever seen one. You dont really need pulpits either - I just glassed on a thimble with uni tape to terminate my lifelines.

Re fibreglass staunchions, and rudder shafts & tubes - there is good info here -

http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... forum=easy
Whimsical

polishing stainless bar

Post by Whimsical »

Well not realy a pushpit more of a braced and angled final stauntion for the lifelines to terminate and form a handrail.

The pullpits will have the built in seat that is seen on many production boats. Have to figure out how to duplicate the tubing effect with all the bends to achieve it first :?

Mike