Anchor Winch Replacement

Those shiney bits
Smooth Cruiser

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Firstly a warning - the photos below should only be viewed by those with a strong stomach. They show scenes of horrific carnage.

Seven years of hard use have taken their toll on my anchor winch.

This may seem short lived, three main factors here - the motor was corroded badly after only 1 year - not too sure why but this indicates some poor treatment prior to installation, combined with the normal harsh environment.

Secondly as I do quite a lot of short handed sailing in some deep water the anchor winch cops quite a lot of abuse. Single handed means I tend to use the winch (or being pedantic - the windlass) to pull the boat to the anchor rather than just hoist the chain - which is a big no-no. As a result the gears started to strip.

Thirdly - these Quick winches had a bit of a reputation for being a bit shoddy around the edges when first released. This appears to be sorted now with the motor housing and general hardware being much stronger and constructed of more appropriate materials.

Anyway one day in about 30knots of wind I was having trouble with one of the outboards. After anchoring I raced back to give the engine a burst to get it running - and in doing so powered over the anchor leaving the chain with a lot of slack. While engrossed with the motor I forgot to put the safety strop on the anchor chain and as a result the boat blew back quite fast and with a big bang took up the strain on the chain - the winch was the only thing holding the load and the shaft bent and the base plate cracked. :shock:

Amazingly I resurrected it for about a year but it's never been the same since, and on Saturday out at Thetford Reef the gears stripped completely and all winching ceased permanently.

So being a rainy day today with no sailing to be done, I pulled the anchor winch off. I have been dreading this - I tried to once before and couldn't, so I knew it was going to be interesting. I'll let the photos tell the story.

I know it teases you guys when I post the pics of the lovely days sailing - don't worry there are plenty of days like this too - all part of the boating experience!! Once you have launched the boat you definitely can't just put all those tools away!!

Didn't take a photo at the start but this is after removing the clutches and gypsy. You can see the big crack in the base plate.

Wow - this is what it looked like under the base plate - the crack had allowed water in - this is the remains of a plate, a feeler guide, a couple of big bushes and washers all mixed up with a healthy amount of salt deposits and rust flakes off the anchor chain. No wonder the winch was struggling. :shock:

After much banging, sweating and cursing, and even a bit of hacksawing - this is the anchor winch out.

A bit of corrosion on the motor . . .

Once all was cleaned up it didn't actually look too bad at all - I was dreading what the wood looked like . . .

Where the anchor winch is sitting now . . .

This is where I would rather have been today . . .
Last edited by Smooth Cruiser on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madaz

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by madaz »

Very interesting post Alasdair, I have just ordered my windlass the other day, after lots of thought and due to my smaller anchor locker i got a horizontal windlass from Lewmar, who have supplied all my other deck gear as well. One of the reasons i went for it is that i was hoping for a bit of longevity and wanted to avoid the possible corrosion problems which are sometimes associated with the vertical types.

I like the vertical type more for appearance but i can live with this all stainless one on the deck if it saves me from what has happened to yours. living in a chain locker cant be pleasent, especially after seven years
Bruce

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by Bruce »

I guess it's bad luck with the winch, but maybe you've also had a good run with it too Alasdair.

Looking at the BLA website the vertical Quick winches (current) show that the winch is suitable for a boat up to 9m, and a 37 footer is definitely over that size.

Of course that is not to say that it definitely won't suit a 37' cat, but it seems that you may have been treading a fine line there, and to get 7 years out of it without incident is indeed good fortune.

I also tend to tread the fine line.

I bought an Aldo furler specifically designed for the next size down diameter stay, than what my plans stipulate.

However I feel that as my plans call for a stay so similar in size, and the boat length is within a couple of feet of the furler recommendation, I'm prepared to take the risk.

Best of luck in getting it fixed, and more pics of your cruises please......keeps me motivated! :P
Smooth Cruiser

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Bruce - there are a number of different size Quick Anchor windlasses, mine is an older model but was the equivalent of the current Aries 1000, which is rated for boats of 10-13m.

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=prod ... fe60fd3b9c

While being equivalent in size, the construction materials of mine were quite different - I note the new motor casing looks much more robust, I have also emailed Quick in Italy and they assure me the internal componenets have all been upgraded substantially. I am thinking about a direct replacement as anything else will involve redrilling holes and a bit of mucking around. Surprisingly Quick in Italy were very helpful with lots of info about changes.
Jim

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by Jim »

Hi Alasdair, while the winch will/is going to cop some flack about corrosion and what have you, and rightly so, I on the other hand am thinking that pile of rusty crap that you removed, (that must be a seperate story) must have some very good engineering in it. It looks like something that was brought up with the anchor from the seabed. To think it was working a couple of days ago is amazing.

My 37 footer has grown to just under 40' with all this rain and my pine plywood looks like black carbon fiber sheets.

I was going to come to your boat and have a coffee today but Yorkeys Knob is flooded in. Another time.

Jim.
44c

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by 44c »

Jim wrote: I on the other hand am thinking that pile of rusty crap that you removed, (that must be a seperate story) must have some very good engineering in it. It looks like something that was brought up with the anchor from the seabed. To think it was working a couple of days ago is amazing.

That was my first thought. Amazing that it still worked at all.

I still don't know which way to go on the windlass - there seems to be huge differences in pricing beteen brands, and I'm not sure it's all reflected in quality. I'd probably rather go slightly oversize than be marginal, but the bigger windlasses cost a fortune. I might go with Arco.
northerncat

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by northerncat »

looks like you maintained it regularly :lol: :lol: , id take a photo of it and send i to quick with what you just posted you might get a free one in return for some advertising

sean
Bruce

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by Bruce »

My apologies Alasdair.

The webpage I looked at for BLA only showed 3 Quick winch sizes: http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=prod ... 0810f4b06d

I should have looked in my trusty Marine Catalogue from Wholesale Products (Tas) that I got from Jeff Bush :roll:
Smooth Cruiser

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Well - the rebuild is about to commence - here is a teaser . . .

Last edited by Smooth Cruiser on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smooth Cruiser

Anchor Winch Replacement

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Having finally had some time on the boat again - new anchor winch is now fitted.

I knew people wouldn't be able to rest easy till they knew this was the case so here's the photo of the finished product.

Went out and tested it this afternoon in 25knots. Did well!! Here's to another seven plus years winching. 8-)
Last edited by Smooth Cruiser on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.