anchor winch dilemmas

Those shiney bits
northerncat

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by northerncat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:26 am

ok my anchor winch which is a maxwell 800now inside the unit is a little piece of plastic that keeps the rope pressed in against the gypsy and stops it from bunching up inside, it has at one end a plastic pin that slides into a hole now it and the spare has died with the little plastic pin snapping off and the plastic beiing spat out on the deck

any ansers anyone

sean

madaz

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by madaz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:28 am

id be asking maxwell to please explain Sean? it wouldnt have done much work would it.

I could be a smart arse and say get a lewmar one, mines all stainless steel, no plastic.

Smooth Cruiser

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm

This thread is useless without pics!

My old winch used to have a sprung plastic tab that kept the chain lined up going round the gypsy and feeding down into the well. Sounds a bit like what you are talking about. This broke off. It didn't seem to matter much but sometimes the chain would get a bit of a twist along the length and then jam up in the feedwell hole. Just needed extra vigilence. The new winch (same model but re-engineered) has this tab in aluminium and so far it is still in place and the chain has never twisted.

northerncat

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by northerncat » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:11 am

well i could take a pic of the broken one but it doesnt have anything to compare it too

sean

Jim

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by Jim » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:55 pm

Drop in to my place as I have the same winch, unused and so far unbroken.

Jim.

puremajek

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by puremajek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:47 pm

id be asking Maxwell to please explain Sean
Sean, I echo these sentiments. I think its the 'Pressure Arm Blade (#P100019)' you are on about.

The only thing I can think of is that it may have been installed around the wrong side of the shaft, or something has jammed within during retrieval and reversing the winch has damaged the component.

One thing I have been warned about is the various chain types too, some have better 'clean welded links' and are others not so 'clean'. I have been told to buy 8mm 'Grade L' short link chain only as this is normally cleaner and also has been tested to higher standards. I know this provides little help but may also give you some more ammunition for the pending battle.

Whatever the case, I would be onto them though. Please let us know how you go.
James

northerncat

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by northerncat » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:08 pm

theres only one way it can go in sadly, i just thought it strange that i should lose two at once

sean

puremajek

anchor winch dilemmas

Post by puremajek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 am

Sean

Was just looking at my stuff again and found a tiny little piece that had fallen on the carpet. :roll: After further inspection, I found that it is part of the unit and called a ‘Clip Insulator’ :oops: .

Its about 11mm long, tubular and clear. It has something to do with ensuring the security the ‘Pressure Arm Clip’ which holds the ‘Pressure Arm Blade’ in place. Not sure if this helps.
James

mahnamahna

Re: anchor winch dilemmas

Post by mahnamahna » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:46 pm

I am about to glass the platform for my anchor winch in and need some help determining the correct height.

I have a D section well that is usually the anchor well, but I intend to use that as my emergency anchor well, which will have a second anchor (a spare and different type to the main anchor) and all rope rode, but my main anchor will be in a well directly behind the D section between the port and starboard bunks. The well is 600mm x 600mm by over a meter deep. The chain will go from the catwalk through the D section well in a steel hawse pipe into the main anchor well.

I have 2 300 litre water tanks in behind these but have no use for the space otherwise, 600 litres is plenty of water tank space, I dont need fuel tanks in there as I am using outboard portable tanks (10 x 24 litre tanks), I dont need any more locker space for the bedrooms and also have ample deck lockers for fenders, sails, spare rope and docking lines etc.

So it made sense to me to have 2 anchor wells, and to move the main anchor well closer to the middle of the boat to move the weight of it all further off the bows, as this anchor will have an all chain rode, 10mm short link. I figure on about 50 meters so I can comfortably anchor in up to 10 meters in all conditions. So combined with the winch itself, thats quite a bit of weight.

Here are some pics of my proposed well.

Ignore the blocks under the windlass platform, it is only so I can decide what height to glass the platform in.

Also pertinent is that I have made my catwalk at a height just above the apex of the D. This corresponds with the height of the apex of the curved forebeam and as a result the catwalk is level. This reduces the height of the drop in the D section, which did not bother me so much as I intended to have the second anchor well.

Because of the height of the catwalk if I want the gypsy to be exactly opposite (no rise or fall) with the hawse pipe I would have the platform at 600mm above the floor of the well giving me a 600mm cubed space. Because the well is 1 meter deep I can mount the platform higher which would give me more fall.

Here are my questions.

I believe that more fall is better because it is less likely chain can foul by folding over itself, but, doe the extra fall make it more likely to snag as it approaches and enters the platform hole on its way out under free fall, as the extra height means more likely that the chain can "twang" more and move further away from the centre of the hole and therefore more likely to kink and catch on that hole.

Is it best for the gypsy to be exactly opposite the hawse pipe (and catwalk trough that the hawse will be level with at the forward end of the hawse) so that the chain exits the hawse and heads in a level line to the gypsy. If the gypsy is above the hawse (if I raise the platform to increase the fall) the chain would rub against the hawse and this would increase friction and therefore the workload on the winch and also the noise the chain would make (secondary concern).

How much space does 50 meters of 10mm chain use, is 600mm x 600mm x 600mm enough. I cant imagine it would not be but have never seen that much chain, or at least known that was what I was looking at.

Is there any other issue with having the winch inside the anchor well (under the lid when its closed). I like the idea of the decks being totally uncluttered, that the electric winch will be under cover most of the time. I was told that sweating might be an issue, in that the well is wet, the chain comes in wet, and the windlass generates heat in a moist environment and this could be a problem. Anyone have any experience of this?

The line visible in the pics above the windlass is the deck height. That is the height one would traditionally mount the winch I would assume, but that would mean the chain would travel along the D section, and then need to be held down in the catwalk trough with a guide of some kind etc. There would still be room in the angle of the turret to fit the windless behind a cover flush with the turret. My only concern with this height is that the chain is exposed on the deck (down the D to the catwalk) and could be tripped over and is not travelling to the windless in as straight a line as possible. At the lower height it only changes angle once as it enters the catwalk from the water but from then it is a straight run to the windlass. Isnt this better from a workload aspect?

About my only concern is about the ability to leverage the manual handle, but without leverage the handle can be moved through its full movement arc.

Sorry about the essay.

Jim

Re: anchor winch dilemmas

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Wow, lots of questions, most of which I can't help you with. My winch is mounted on the deck and the chain just drops straight into the locker below, however when I have more than 20 meters out I have to push the pile of chain aside to allow for the rest to pile up without hitting the winch. No big deal as I am right there with the foot switches. I have about 1 meter on top of the deck on a s/s wear plate and so far no one has tripped over it. There is stuff all over the deck at times and you just seem to work around it. All my lockers at the front are self draining and I usually only have them closed when the boat is under way, at night or raining. When I wash the boat down on return to the marina I give the anchor locker a good dose of fresh water and leave it open, sometimes for days. If it rains it doesn't really matter, the water just runs out. The more they are open the drier they stay.
Jim.