Door locks, bolts, latches

Those shiney bits
darwincat

Post by darwincat » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:59 am

Good Day, I am about to start building doors, one for each cockpit made from uni reinforced Duflex. I realise most builders buy production items, however has anyone had experience re the securing hardware - locks, bolts, latches etc.? One of the doors will be Dutch door so it will require more hardware. I would appreciate any ideas.

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:10 pm

My doors are custom made, each door mounts on two pins which makes removing the door very easy. One swing door is then held closed with a bolt top and bottom, and the other swing door latches to this one, with a lock. The pins are normal door mounting pins, available from chandleries or caravan shops. Very simple and convenient.

darwincat

Post by darwincat » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks Smooth, That is very close to what I need. Darwin is not exactly flush with chandlers and caravan outlets with any stock of note and to date I have not been able to identify such pins on the web. Do you perhaps have a photo and/or brand name?

mySerenity

Post by mySerenity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:48 am

Hi Tom

Love the idea of a removable door by the way, except there is normally no ewhere to put the damn thing. I too found hardware a real pain to find for the doors. I eventually git ripped-off down at one of the chandleries as I ended up being in a real hurry. The exchange rate and price of SS overseas we found not worth the effort, after postage was paid.

I also set up an account with Novus who managed to get SS gear like piano hinges and fittings at the same rate as the chandlers, but larger and better quality.
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

darwincat

Post by darwincat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks Gentlemen,

I have found UES here in Darwin, they had a large range of piano hinge, and I got just what was needed for all three doors.

Yes, I will have a single door into the forward cockpit and a dutch door in the Aft. What I mean particularly by a dutch door is two doors, (an upper and a lower) in one hole.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

DA

Post by DA » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 pm

I am making a bi fold dutch door, enables me to leave lower section closed for weather reasons, it folds out exrternally taking up little room when folded, The upper section and lower section of doors overlap by 50mm and have been routed out to still be flush as one piece . i dont know how to attach on this site , but if anyone wants a ROUGH BASIC drawing of the door ( as a picture say's a thousand words) i can email them. its being made out of Nycel Celluka (no rot / minor fairing to get good finish) mounted with 4 x 20mm offset S/S hinges and S/S piano hinge on the bi-fold.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:08 pm

I think as far as doors go the Seaview wins hands down. Their door is a Tri fold door with 1 2 or 3 open at any one time and when the 3 are open it hinges up and clips to the cabin roof, just brilliant.

Jim.

rexd666
Site Admin

Post by rexd666 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:48 am

Jim,

Got any pics or links to that door?

Steve

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:48 pm

I think Jim is referring to the door on the Seawind 1160. A few articles about these boats/doors in Multihull World a few years ago - the Seawind site has a few pics too. Most bigger marinas will have at least one Seawind 1160 sitting in them!

tuskie

Post by tuskie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:23 am

[quote=Jim]I think as far as doors go the Seaview wins hands down.

Jim.[/quote]

After a bottle of seaview my missus can't find the door!