Steering

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
malallo

Steering

Post by malallo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:54 am

hi easy folks

Im exploring a few alternatives with steering but still am not sure as to the best way to go. Peter recomends the morse cable system and it sounds like the way to go currently Im wondering what the best way to go for the cross bar. I would like to enclose it to protect it and would like to be able to fit emergency tillers if needed I wonder if anyone had explored the possibility of using a large morse cable as a cross bar?

northerncat

Steering

Post by northerncat » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:30 am

youd have to have two one to each tiller, as for the inside or out side debate i say chuck hem on the outside as otherwise they take up storage space in your rear locker

sean

madaz

Steering

Post by madaz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:08 am

Has anyone fitted the Teleflex type cable steering as yet?

A builder down here is going to, an SS137 model which is a Stern drive unit i think). I know of one easy built here that used a Teleflex system also, with no problem.

However there seems to be a number of systems available from Teleflex, feed back and no feedback. Also does anyone know what the amount of travel is for the cable end from one lock to the other? they dont seem to tell you on the website? Seems to be the cheapest easiest way to go about it though.

tony

malallo

Steering

Post by malallo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:08 pm

changed my mind on that one going to glass half a 80mm PVC pipe on the bottom of the rear beam and run a 25mm SS tube through bearings with a tie rod at each end.

SW

Jim

Steering

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi all, I am in the process of working out my steering setup and was wondering if anyone knows the maximum rudder angle for a cat (from straight ahead to full lock). I don't think it would be too great because of stall and what have you, and any tight turning as in berthing is done with the engines anyway.

Jim.

madaz

Steering

Post by madaz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Jim I asked this question to my designer and he mentioned stall would start at around 40 degrees. I am not sure if that applies to all designs or not though?

A bloke who is building a Chamberlain after selling his easy to go bigger mentioned your observations also. the amount of steering he ever used was only minimal ,as close quaters slow speed manouvering was done with the two engines with ease.

Knotbad

Steering

Post by Knotbad » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi, From what I have read , it seems that stall happens around 20 deg to 25 deg (depending on rudder , boat etc ) But you want about 30 deg max.

I think if you have to much angle the loads can go up considerably if you are in reverse. This seems to ring true from my limited experience ( ie you never use the last third of movement effectively and in reverse at any sort of speed its a struggle to fight against full lock. Allan.

malallo

Steering

Post by malallo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:06 am

hi floks Im still havent completly decided on what to do, the seawind we were on recently had about 45 degrees of rudder angle and this seemed to be a bit much and would stall on full lock the set up was pretty good with the cross bar in the rear beam in two sections, joined in the middle and running on a section of traveller attached to a sliding batt car I could imagine that a tiller pilot would be pretty easy to attach.

Shane

Jim

Steering

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks for the comments.

After much mucking around with a mockup tiller indicator board I have come up with a rudder angle of 30deg from straight ahead (rudder) to full lock. My tillers are to be set at 15deg toe in each. I would imagine this rudder angle will not be a constant due to the Ackermann theory. I don't have a connector bar as yet, so when I do, it will all be revealed. I went and measured my mates Lightwave 36 and he has an angle of 27deg. with about the same toe in.

Jim.