Rudder Stops

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
kjay

Rudder Stops

Post by kjay » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Just a question,
Just fitted a steering tie rod setup similar to what Jim has done on the Leslie James, Did you boatbuilders fit physical stops for your tiller heads or did you rely on the steering cable for steering travel stop.? Those of you with hyd steering probably just rely on the rams themselves.

Thanks
John "Sarah"16

Jim

Re: Rudder Stops

Post by Jim » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi John, I fitted steering stops, one on each side. If you look at the photos on the Leslie James page 2 (I think) you can see the sort of "D" shaped epoxied ply on the left bottom. The tiller sits flat on this at full turn. I have more stroke in the hydraulic ram, but if you let duel steering with a connector bar go too far it gets all weird and the two rudders get well out of sync. I remember on my Cobra Cat if you turn to the max (no stops) the inside rudder will go nearly 90deg, which doesn't help much for forward motion.
Jim.

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 am

Hi John, my system is all mechanical- twin tillers to a stock post with lever arms and drag-link bars connecting to the transom hung kickup rudders and connecting the tillers. Like a big beach cat.
IMG_20151211_165948-1.jpg
My rudder stops are built into the stern cutout, 70 degree slice of cake- 35 degrees either side of neutral. This I understand is the magic number for effective rudder angle.
My autopilot hydraulic linear drive is a simrad HDL2000l and in the manual it specifies "The HLD should not act as an end stop for the rudder. " It doesn't state why but I assume if the rudder forced the drive beyond max it would not be happy.
My worst case scenario without substantial rudder stops is sliding backward and folding the rudder sideways with it 90% backwards balance and damaging one of my many link components!
I plan to add adjustable stops to the inboard edges of the cutout to allow for Ackermann angles so both rudders rest against the stops when the tillers are hard over on both tacks.

Happy decision making, Matt.
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)

kjay

Post by kjay » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks, Matt and Jim.
I thought having stops is necessary, didnt think the steering cable would like to be the travel limiter, can see all sorts of problems with that.
On another note, how are your Stauff clamps wearing after 7 years Jim ?

thanks
John

terryk

Post by terryk » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi John, I used 2 door stops from bunnings, stainless steel with round rubber knobs. Sorry don`t have a picture.
Cheers
terryk

kjay

Post by kjay » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:33 am

Good idea Terry, I will check them out.
Nice finish on the boat, Congrats on the launch,
John

PRJP78

Post by PRJP78 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:18 pm

could you post more pictures id like to see it from different angles...etc