Composite rudder shafts

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
44c

Composite rudder shafts

Post by 44c » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:35 pm

CC40 wrote:Madaz

Quick question I have been onto Excell re the Rudder tubes. What did you do regarding installing the tangs for the rudder or did your design not require them?
Also to the other guys who are using the Excell Stanchions have you drilled holes for the wires if so does it weaken the tube? Seems to me it would.

Drilling holes will weaken the staunchions obviously. But they are ridiculously strong to start with.

On my boat I drilled holes through the rudder shafts for tangs made of 1/2 inch solid fibreglass rod, also from Excell.

CC40

Composite rudder shafts

Post by CC40 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:15 am

44c

Thanks for reply, sort of thought that is what would be done. So can you tell me what combination size of shaft and tube did you get. Part number would be good? I think I read you had a 60ml shaft. Emailing Steve he seems a little confused as to what we are doing but to be fair as he says he sells his product does not ask what for.

Also what sort of caps did you put on top of the stanchions.

Thanks

CC40

Iain

madaz

Composite rudder shafts

Post by madaz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:19 pm

Iain, sorry if i did not reply, i did the same as 44c for tangs, drilled 10mm holes through the centre of the rudder tube and passed 10mm solid glass rod through them. i cut in the 10mm rod to the rudder template and glassed it inside the 9mm ply also, then poured resin inside the tube to glue and fill any void that was in there, so the rudder tube is solid up to the top of the rudder tube, then hollow afterwards.

I used 2" o.d. x 1 1/2" id tubes, fitted inside their 2 1/2" o.d. 2" id tubes which were glassed into the boat as rubber shaft tubes. I beleive they will machine the smaller of the two to fit inside the bigger one prior to sending them out if you require.

the code for the 2" x 1 1/2" is AT796 but i dont have the other code.

do those help?

RW

Composite rudder shafts

Post by RW » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 pm

I was just wondering if someone could give me the contact details for Excell. Are they an Oz company?

Cheers

Rod

44c

Composite rudder shafts

Post by 44c » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:55 pm

44c wrote:Contact details for exel:

Steve Holdway

Exel Composites Pty Ltd

15 Ada Street, Coopers Plains, Qld., 4108

Phone: +61 7 3274 1099 Facsimile: +61 7 3274 2041

Web site: http://www.exel.net/

44c

Composite rudder shafts

Post by 44c » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:06 pm

CC40 wrote:44c
Thanks for reply, sort of thought that is what would be done. So can you tell me what combination size of shaft and tube did you get. Part number would be good? I think I read you had a 60ml shaft. Emailing Steve he seems a little confused as to what we are doing but to be fair as he says he sells his product does not ask what for.
Also what sort of caps did you put on top of the stanchions.
Thanks
CC40
Iain

I got the same sized tube as Tony. The rudder shaft is 2" OD with 1/4" wall thickness. Tubes are a very good snug fit on these, and have the same wall thickness. Don't have part numbers, sorry.

I got acetal thrust washers made by a plastics place on the NSW North coast, but I don't remember their name any more. Maybe Tony has a record?

The staunchion caps were made for me by a friend who used to be a manual arts teacher. He had access to a CNC lathe at the time, and turned them up from acetal. Unfortunately he doesn't have access to the lathe any more.

CC40

Composite rudder shafts

Post by CC40 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks Guys excellent, have since received parts list from Steve so was going for those sizes. Tony your rudders look exactly like the design Mike sent for the CC40 same size shaft, think maybe he cheated a little.

Caps for Stanchions have a mate who is into Lathes so might make up some nice Teak or Oregon caps.

Also Rod have Steve at Exel's email address and parts list if you want to contact me and I can forward on.

Never heard of Acetal plastic guess it is just a hard plastic?

Thanks

CC40

Iain

madaz

Composite rudder shafts

Post by madaz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:52 pm

Iain, i got washers made up which are epoxied ontot he top of the rudder blade and the bottom of the boat, to form a surface to turn on, the same at the top where the shaft comes out of the tube there is a washer on the bottom of the tiller head and the top of the rudder tube/ the washers are UHMWPE, which is some sort of plastic which is hard and used for bearings but most importantly absorbs virtually no water when permanantly submerged. my washers are 5mm thick which gives a clearnce for the rubber to bottom of the boat of 10mm as there are 2.

they came from "The Plastics Factory" which is somewhere in NSW i think,, do a google search and they will come up. I think Alan used the same material. you just have to rough up the surface to be glued or it will pop back off.

madaz

Composite rudder shafts

Post by madaz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:54 pm

The Stanchions look nice and trick in the carbon as supplied, but will eventually get affected by UV so I am painting mine. I just glued and bogged the tops closed then rounded them off instead of getting a seperate cap.

44c

Composite rudder shafts

Post by 44c » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:26 pm

madaz wrote:Iain, i got washers made up which are epoxied ontot he top of the rudder blade and the bottom of the boat, to form a surface to turn on, the same at the top where the shaft comes out of the tube there is a washer on the bottom of the tiller head and the top of the rudder tube/ the washers are UHMWPE, which is some sort of plastic which is hard and used for bearings but most importantly absorbs virtually no water when permanantly submerged. my washers are 5mm thick which gives a clearnce for the rubber to bottom of the boat of 10mm as there are 2.

they came from "The Plastics Factory" which is somewhere in NSW i think,, do a google search and they will come up. I think Alan used the same material. you just have to rough up the surface to be glued or it will pop back off.

Mine aren't UHMWPE, the guys said it can "cold flow" (distort) under pressure. Nylon expands with water so it's no good. They recommended acetal, which is harder then UHMWPE. It's very slippery too.