Composite rudder shafts

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
CC40

Composite rudder shafts

Post by CC40 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:58 am

Good info guys, thanks will be making some phone calls this week.

CC40

Iain

terryk

Composite rudder shafts

Post by terryk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi builders, I also used UHMWPE or otherwise known as polyethylene PE pr polystone 7000, these are the specs from the supplier Dotmar Engineering Plastics.

Impact strength- it is virtually unbreakable

Light weight- easy to handle without special equipment

Physiologically inert- approved for food applications

Electrical insulation- it is a good insulator

Weatherproof- it doesn`t absorb water

Chemical resistance- resists corrosive chemicals

Abrasion resistance- rated better than carbon steel for sliding applications

Low coefficient of friction- it does not require lubrication

PE Plastic Applications

Chute and hopper linings

Bulk storage

Material handling

Mechanical bearing parts

Wear parts

Food machinery parts

The physical properties can be found on their website; http://WWW.dotmar.com.au

cheers

terryk

teamROAM

Composite rudder shafts

Post by teamROAM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi guys

Quick question in regards to the life span of this system. Obviously not an issue as it seems alot of designs call for the housing tube being the contact surface of the bearing wether using a stainless or GRP rudder stock.

Just wanted to check noone has heard of any wear issues (being no replacable contact surfaces). I see that Madaz mentions above that he fitted grease nipple.

My plans call for a poured epoxy bearing that has 20% graphite content. Not sure about the life span of this either hence searching these forum sites for alternatives.

Regards

Mick

madaz

Composite rudder shafts

Post by madaz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Gday Mick, nice to see a fellow tasmanian on the forum. I have not heard of any wear issues with the system. I used epoxy with graphite on the shaft also. when you consider the shaft is only going to turn 30 degrees or so max and spend most of the time moving a fraction of that i dont think it is anything to worry about.

What are you building? I was in Beamauris a few weeks back.

teamROAM

Composite rudder shafts

Post by teamROAM » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Hi Madaz

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will go with this system. Good level of mid tech, low cost and ease of construction.

Best system I have seen is by a bloke down the channel building a Chaimberlin (you may know him). He made his own stocks out of carbon with high mod resin then post cured them. Then had stainless bearings glued on and had them machined by putting the whole stock on a lathe. Housing side of the bearing was nylon bushes. Looked real nice but alot of work. He made carbon tillers to suit his hydraluic steering as well. AMAZING work.

We are building a Spirited 480. Beaumaris is a pretty special spot. I grew up there and my parents still live there (the boat is bing built on the old mans property) I work out of Singapore in offshore construction so rotate back and forth to work on the boat and away to get the $$$ to pump into the boat.

I see that you are about to launch. Congrats!!!

madaz

Composite rudder shafts

Post by madaz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:49 am

Maurice Crawford is the bloke you are talking about. Hes a good friend of mine. His boat was launched about 3 weeks ago. they are heading off up the east coast of the mainland as soon as possible to escape our winter!

Jim

Composite rudder shafts

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:29 pm

I was trying to remember what I made my rudder bushes out of and have just found the invoice. They are made from Vesconite which I got from CBC bearings, and it had all the things you want, easy to machine, doesn't absorb water, long wearing.

Jim.