steering wheel

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
northerncat

steering wheel

Post by northerncat » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:24 am

if like me you go looking at wheels and find that all look a little pov then you have another option and that is to make you own, to do this you need a piece of mdf slightly larger than your proposed wheel upon which you sketch up your masterpiece, you then grab a circle cut router bit and carefully route it out to the depth you desire(small bites), you then seal the mold with a few layers of pva( the neater your mold the easier to get the wheel out as i learnt after making my first mold a little to quickly) then you use some car wax to polish the mold and paste in some q cell thickened resin which you let cure off a little, then place a lot of uni around your sahpe so that it all overlaps and fill with resin to wet it out, let it cure off and top up with qcell thickened resin, let it cure for a couple of days and sand it off flat and pop it out of the mold and wahlah you have half a rreally cool steering wheel, sand it up till its ready for painting and glue it to the other half, ill try to send some photos to james as well for the site for anyone curious enough to check it out

sean

Whimsical

steering wheel

Post by Whimsical » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:08 am

Nice technique.

Any ideas on how to make a dished version

Mike

northerncat

steering wheel

Post by northerncat » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:20 pm

sorry not really

sean

44c

steering wheel

Post by 44c » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:23 pm

I was thinking of using PVC conduit for the rim, filled with epoxy, and using Duflex for the spokes. (I was thinking 3 spokes, kind of like a Mercedes badge but with curves) That way you could make them dished or flat, whatever you chose.