Tie rods

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
Future

Tie rods

Post by Future » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Has any one used aluminium tubing for the tie rod between the rudders? (I was looking at using hydraulics with a fluid link but the cost has ruled that out. :shock: ) Plans state that pipe can be stainless or aluminium just wondering what other people have done. I have purchased a 50mm diameter with 5 mm wall aluminium pipe – just not sure now. :?: :?:

madaz

Tie rods

Post by madaz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Gday Adam I was going to use a similar setup with alloy pipe and tie rods then decided to go fluid link, so I never did use it, I think Jim has a similar setup (might be stainless though) and is as close to your situation that i have seen.

mahnamahna

Tie rods

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:11 am

I have 30mm outside diameter aluminum tube with 5mm walls inside a 31mm inside diameter pvc tube uni glassed (450 gsm) to my bridgedeck then 2 layers of 450gsm double bias glass tying it down to the deck. The fact the walls of the pvc tude are glassed to the bridgedeck means you can get a way with a lighter cross bar and the bar moves very easily inside the conduit before greasing so it should be even freer with a coating of lanolin. My only concern with a sheathed cross bar is if I have serious flexing of the hulls maybe the tie rod could bind inside the conduit. But I laid out the conduit with the aluminium tie rod inside between 2 44 gallon drums so it would flex (and it did) and the aluminum tie rod still slid easily inside the conduit so it would have to be some serious flexing of the hulls to bind it up. If you want some pix let me know. Cheers, Paul
Last edited by mahnamahna on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syhlif32

Tie rods

Post by Syhlif32 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:43 am

The Flica 27 had a ~60- 70 mm aluminum tube with maybe 2 -2.5 mm walls.

I had it off and even with the stainless end fittings is was quit light.

I assume is was a tube for a spinaker boom.

Later I had Teflon sleeves made for the joints and that did make a difference compared to just having metal to metal.

Maybe I do not see it right but the connecting rod is not only moving port to starboard but also ~100 mm fort and back depending on the length of the rudder arms.

Bjarne