Locating a Raymarine flux gate compass

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
madaz

Post by madaz » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 am

I note in the installation instruction for the fluxgate compass that it should be located just aft of the centre line of the boat (fore and Aft) and on the centre line (athwartships/side ways, port to starboard) and just above the water line.

If one for filled the first two requirments then the compass would be in the bridgedeck area somewhere and would clearly not be near the water line. If anyone has a Raymarnine autopilot with a fluxgate where did you install it?

It would make sense to me that the centreline requirement athwartships may be far more import to monos and therefore perhaps the fluxgate in a cat would be best located in the centre of a hull down low?

Ref:

http://www.raymarine.com/SubmittedFiles ... nGuide.pdf

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm no guru on these but, thinking it through, the best position would be where the effect of pitch and roll on the unit would be minimised thereby giving you a more stable reading.

On a mono that location would be as shown in the diagram provided.

On a cat, in one of the hulls in a similar position (as you have mentioned).

David

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:00 pm

There is a fair bit of tolerance in the instructions with the fitting location.

I put mine behind the mast/lounge and just above my water tank. This is as low and as central as it can go in my boat, but it is still a fair way above the w/line. The autohelm seems to work fine as long as the sails aren't overpowered, but that has nothing to do with the fluxgate compass.

Jim.

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:53 am

Mine is under the lounge seat - not on the centreline or the mid line or near the water and it works absolutely fine. I always thought the main thing was to be away from metal and electronics.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:25 am

I can't see why you would have any problems mounting it on or near the floor in the bridgedeck Tony, seeing that on a mast is an acceptable position on a magnetic hulled vessel.

Obviously the closer the waterline the better. Remember that a catamaran is more stable than a monohull as well...... pitchpoling excepted :shock:

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am

Tony

I had mine below my instrument line just above the bridgedeck floor. I struggled to 'align' the autopilot and later found that a speaker was within 500mm of the unit. :twisted: :twisted:

Once moved (1m away from the speaker) and at the top of the door frame, all is now fine.

Just a suggestion, don't screw it on until on the water, then find a spot holding in place with tape initially.
James