SeaStar Catamaran Hydrolic Stearing System

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
Dreamtime

Post by Dreamtime » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:34 pm

I have been looking into both mechanical and hydrolic stearing systems and found the SeaStar Catamaran system. It is for power boats up to 450HP non counter rotating and 600HP counter rotating and is 765mm long with a 254mm stroke length.

This could be mounted in the centre of the rear beam and mechanical links manufactured to go between the rudder and the end of the ram.

Would this system have the torque required?? I would think that the forces imposed on the ram from 450hp would be a lot more than the forces on the rudders??? :? Given that each end of the ram connects to that side rudder, this will reduce the linkage length to a more manageable size, thus minimising the size/strength of the linkages.

The kit is $1107.00 from http://www.bla.com.au

Worth a second look???

Cheers

Scotty
Scotty & René

madaz

Post by madaz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:36 am

yes it would be Scotty,

I installed hydraulic steering on my cat which is only 31 ft. I have one helm and a ram on each tiller. the rams are linked by a line running between (series) and therefor there is no connecting bar as such, just a fluid link, aligning rudders is done by a loop installed on one ram with a ball valve, so opening the valve allows a ram to be moved independant of the system. Four cats have been launched in Hobart recently with this type of system. no problems and as you hit the nail one the head in relation to 450hp, turning a cat rudder upto 20 degrees is not even in the same ball park, the hydraulics will do it no problem at all.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:28 am

I have one ram and a connector bar. The ram can be mounted at either end connected to the tiller or anyway along the length of the connector bar as long as it is a supported bar and not the floating type. There may be some photos in Members Mulits/Leslie James.

Make sure the helm pump has the capacity to do the job. I started with a 1.4ci and ended up having to change it. I put a 2.4ci in and it almost halved the turns lock to lock. If the pump is too small it will make your steering too doughy and vague, although it will still reach the bump stops, just takes more turns.

Jim.

Dreamtime

Post by Dreamtime » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:18 am

Hey Madaz - that was the way that I was looking at going cause I do not like the idea of a big linkage between the two tillers ( I have been looking through the build links, Jim had a great idea with the hydrolic pipe clamps being used as 'bearings'), but I like the idea of a fixed link rather than no link. Hmm - that is a double negative???

How is the boat going??? It looks so good - you should be very proud.

I am yet to start so I have a little bit of time to look around yet but the concept looked too good not to share with you all.

Scotty
Scotty & René