Autopilots

Wheel, tiller and autopilots
44c

Autopilots

Post by 44c » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:12 pm

Building your own steering wheel might be the solution Tony.

madaz

Autopilots

Post by madaz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:44 am

to hard for me, I rang my chandelry bloke in Inceston (Launceston) who has found me what I couldnt, a 20" flat, stainless wheel with a 3/4" tapered hub... and hes taking my other 20" flat wheel with 1" back for a credit. so i should be able to stick that on the teleflex hub and put a wheel pilot on it no trouble.

I'll just go and call the fireies... :shock:

gunnadoo

Autopilots

Post by gunnadoo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 am

One of the good things about a wharram is that they can be rigged with wheel steering and tillers (unclip wheel ropes). Makes it possible to fit a windvane, and autopilot which operates the vane tab, which moves the rudders. :D

Chrisg

Autopilots

Post by Chrisg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 am

I note that its some time since the topic of steering systems and auto pilots has been discussed. Time has moved on a little and we are leaning towards the same system as pure majek [ 900mm steering wheel, to cog, to spectra rope through 4 sheaves to rear 'tiller connection bar' and stowed emergency hand tiller as back-up]. Raymarine are strongly sugesting we use the Smartpilot XPS10 with a Type 1 linear drive, saying the wheel pilot is plastic with plastic gears and would not be suitable.

Any comments
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com

puremajek

Autopilots

Post by puremajek » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Chris

Since the book, we have gone to wire (as opposed to spectra). While the spectra was OK, we found that it did stretch and the play made the autopilot work to much. With the wire/cable, it has improved out of site.

With the autopilot - make sure you get the one with a gyro. I would never buy another without the gyro again. The difference is amazing and the tracking far more accurate. We actually use a higher accuracy level in confined areas (ie coming on landfall) and the lower accuracy levels when out of sight of land. The level differences reduce the tracking accuracy, but work the autopilot a lot less. I love the raymarine autopilot and would buy it again too - no questions asked. It is worth every cent in heavy weather, just hugs its course and lets you work the sails. I would look closely at the X10. The USD is definitely in your favour, watch the GST bit.

I have a great electronics bloke who used to work for raymarine, a bit pricy but no nonsense and sets it all up on the water for you, explains the works. PM me if you want more data.
James

mikeb

Autopilots

Post by mikeb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi Chris

I have a similar steering set up to James and didn't go with the autopilot that mounts to the steering wheel as I was concerned that if there was a breakage in the cable/cog etc the autopilot would be out of action too. With my steering system I see the autopilot as secondary system if/when a failure occurs. Just a thought....

Mike

Jim

Autopilots

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Chrisg, I have a Raymarine Linear Drive, 2nd hand also a new Linear Rudder Position Sensor, new, which I never used. The drive I tested and it seemed to work OK and the gears inside (brass) look as new. If you are interested, make me an offer. I will actually be down your way on Monday to do the Great Ocean Road thing.

Jim.

44c

Re: Autopilots

Post by 44c » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:58 am

I've been looking for a new autopilot to replace our current disaster. From reading various forums there seems to be almost universal agreement that Simrad are excellent. And with the Ausbuck being so strong, there's real bargains to be had overseas.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Simrad+A ... ystem.html

$2287 US. These pilots are near $4500 here in Aus.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 pm

What is your current auto pilot 44?

Dreamtime

Post by Dreamtime » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 am

Hey Paul

Check out http://diy-yachts.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20. This should answer your question. :D

Cheers
Scotty & René