Home made copper antifoul

Tips and pointers to keep the critters away
Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

I mixed copper powder with epoxy at a ratio of 2 parts copper to one epoxy.

When applying it it is very sticky and doesn't want to roll out. It will eventually spread with a lot of pressure applied to the roller and a lot of back and forth. I am thinking of using a thinner in it on the next hull.

Has anyone done the same before, what do people recomend.

Mike
44c

Post by 44c »

Add more epoxy? It's not a real antifoul anyway, Mike, in that it won't ablate. It's really just a very tough backup paint.
madaz

Post by madaz »

I used the Copper Coat DVD as a guide, they use 2kg of copper powder to 1 litre of resin, which is not the same as 2;1 by volume...

I rolled mine on with a foam roller and wound up with a nice smooth finish.

I didnt realise it had to ablate to be a "real" antifoul. Copper Coat is supposed to last 10 years plus and doesnt ablate, trouble is its pretty dear.

A good source of fine copper powder is http://www.barnes.com.au good price by the 5 kg or 10 kg lot.

tony
Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

I used 2:1 by weight with west resin

Maybe the foam roller spreads it better than the short nap.

More epoxy will just reduce the amount of active copper exposed so lessen the efectiveness.

I am thinking of using an ablative over it then the copper just becomes a backup especially in areas where the ablative wears away faster such as rudder and dagger leading edges.

Mike
Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Whimsical wrote:I am thinking of using an ablative over it then the copper just becomes a backup especially in areas where the ablative wears away faster such as rudder and dagger leading edges.

Mike

It doesn't need to be ablative to be an antifoul - you get hard antifouls or ablative antifouls.

Why would you use an ablative over the copper? You don't really need a backup in place - once the antifoul stops working you still have around 6 months from experience before the weed gets too thick. I would just go with the copper. Part of the advantage in my understanding was the smoother surface the copper gives (extra speed) as well as the longevity. I may have this wrong though.

I have found that the places that lose the antifoul first is around the water line - leading edges and things aren't really a concern. Maybe I don't go fast enough. :oops: For me I have to redo the antifoul when the waterline starts wearing thin, but at that time the lower parts of the hull still have good protection - even leading edges and rudders. (And yes - to combat this I did an extra coat around the water line this time when I re-did the antifoul!)
44c

Post by 44c »

Sorry but it does need to ablate in order to keep working. You need to keep exposing fresh biotoxins - ie copper. The "hard" antifouls do ablate - they just do it slower - and they are often less effective than 'soft" because of this.

The copper-epoxy antifouls are formulated to keep exposing new copper. (Which is why the stuff costs so much more than just copper powder mixed with epoxy) Our home-made stuff doesn't do that, and if you launch without putting "proper" antifoul over it you will soon have a ton of growth.

Bob has been painting the bottoms of his boats with epoxy mixed with copper for many years, and you still have to use a "proper" antifoul over the top of it. It's not the same as the copper-epoxy antifouls you can buy.
terryk

Post by terryk »

Hi builders, check out this guys website he has done a bit of copper epoxy antifoul research, also his building site has some good info.

http://members.shaw.ca/ArcticTern3/Vol03Iss07.htm

Cheers

terryk
44c

Post by 44c »

He did pretty much the same as me - added copper until it seemed about as thick as i could reasonably roll on. I used 15kg of copper powder.

He has used about 2.5 kg.... I dont expect mine to work as a permanent antifoul - I dont think his will either.
Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

I was talking with Rob Denney yesterday, he came for the hull rolling ceremony. He had a boat with the copper bum and found that while it is not a really good antifoul it is very easy to scrape any growth off. This is what I had heard before and was behind my plan to use it as a base for an ablative. Where the ablative wears off the copper should make an easy cleanup and negate the need for urgent action.

Mike
Crasara Cruzin

Post by Crasara Cruzin »

Hi Guy's,

Is it possible to use a squeggy with this Copper epoxy mix after it has been rolled on to smooth it out?? Our Jotun seems to last around 2 years is thias the norm or is it because we are always moving?