Antifoul 'Wattyl - Wear & Tear' (2nd Update - 10 months

Tips and pointers to keep the critters away
mySerenity

Post by mySerenity »

Here are some more photos 10 months after launching. For those unfamiliar, we have three red coats topped with three blue coats of Wattyl. In these, the blue is starting to fade and some small patches of red are starting to show after 10 months permanently in the water.

The 'scum' you see here came off reasonably easily, not used to working that hard. Should may be take a leaf out of Alasdairs book and get some 'Backpackers'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All in all, still very happy with the antifoul. I have since touched-up the 4 red patches. Will try and get a 12-14 update.
Last edited by mySerenity on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

Post by 44c »

I sailed an Oram 44 down from Mackay last week. They had Altex number 5 on it, was over 2 years old and still good. They reckon they get 3 years out of it. They do scrub the hulls periodically.

Another thing I reckon makes a little bit of difference, is the colour. Algae and other sea plants need sunlight, so IMO using a black antifoul will slow them down just a little bit more.
mySerenity

Post by mySerenity »

I sailed an Oram 44 down from Mackay last week
Not too familiar with Altex, is it resin based or water based? We have 4 more coats of resin base below all these water based layers, so are hoping for much the same period. Time will tell and I'll try and send some more data in as it wears. Was told much the same with the colour. Black too hides the scum - not too sure if thats such a good thing though.
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

Post by swanncat »

sorry didnt have anything closer.one thing we've noticed is that drying out

for a couple of days once in a while,really kills the weed with out haveing to scrub.This is fifteen months with altex .
Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

James - your proble4m is that you're just sailing too fast - you are going to have to slow down a bit!!

I can recommend the backpacker approach to anti-fouling, you married guys may have a bit of explaining to do though!!

Black defintiely keeps the weed off longer - most of the charter companies use black fairly exclusively now for that reason (and I guess it looks "modern").

Swanncat - letting it dry before removing weed certainly helps - but the best thing I have found to do if you have time is to beach the boat, spray a solution of chlorine on (mix up some liquid chlorine and water in a 1 Litre spray bottle) all over any weed, then refloat it and sail fast for a day then beach it again and you will find that all of the growth has gone. Works wonders.
Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

44c wrote:I sailed an Oram 44 down from Mackay last week.

Which one - Xtra Chilli?
44c

Post by 44c »

Smooth Cruiser wrote:
44c wrote:I sailed an Oram 44 down from Mackay last week.
Which one - Xtra Chilli?

Yes, Ian had some health problems, and has to take it easy for a few months, so a couple of us went up with Cheryl and brought "Chilli" back home.

The hulls had been scrubbed, but for 2 year old antifoul it was in excellent condition.

I've used Jotun paint all over my boat, I'm really impressed with how easy it is to use, and the price is excellent, and I was sure I'd use Jotun antifoul too, but the performance of the Altex on "Chilli" has got me thinking....