passenger capacity

Vent your frustration on those who think they are untouchable
terryk

passenger capacity

Post by terryk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 am

Hi builders, we are just filling out our first registration papers for our Easy 37, there is a question. What is the passenger capacity? Does anyone know? Peter Snells phone is not on
Cheers
Terryk

terryk

Re: passenger capacity

Post by terryk » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:18 am

Hi builders, I found this formula which seems to work even though it is for a mono hull.
For boats over 10 metres in length, use the appropriate formula below to calculate the number of adults you can safely carry in calm water conditions.

For single-deck boats (no flybridge) the formula is:
•maximum capacity (adults) = 0.75L√B (nearest whole number)
where L = length of boat in metres and B = breadth of boat in metres.

Ours worked out to 16.9 people.
cheers
terryk

Finally

Post by Finally » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks for the info.

However I must be reading the formula incorrectly (math was never my strong point).

length in metres x .75 then divide by the beam in metres?

Doesn't work out for me as I only get 1.2 (12 x .75 / 7.5)

David

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi David

There is a square root sign in Terry's formula.

Take three quarters of the length and divide by the square root of the beam. If yours was 12.0L and 7.5B then it works out at 24.6 people. I get over 22 people for Snell's Sarah; clearly more than I would ever want on board, even for something like a NYE party on Sydney Harbour.

Chris

Finally

Post by Finally » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:58 am

Woops - so it is. Thanks Chris.

But 24.6 people? The bridgedeck clearance would resemble the earlier Prout designs.

I understand that the formula is based on an average of 75kg per person. Based on what I see walking the streets, that average is a tad low.

My design's sales pitch allowed for a load carrying capacity of 2 tonne. Deduct say 600kg for water and fuel (it's actually more than that fully filled) leaves 1400kg. Divide by 75kg means a capacity of 18.6 passengers. Still too many in my books to be considered good seamanship.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Have a good read of the Regs. You may find that capacity plates (I am talking specifically about displaying an actual 'capacity plate') does not apply to your home-build. I am happy to be corrected, but capacity plates only came in in 2003 (in Australia) I think, and the rule applied to factory built vessels to prevent commercial overloading. 8-)
James

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:43 am

Remember these capacities refer to CALM water. They're not what you would take out to sea.

The allowable passenger capacities are pretty amazing. There was a Seawind 1000 operating as a whale watching boat in Hervey bay that from memory, was allowed about 30 people!