A Bumpy Approach

Vent your frustration on those who think they are untouchable
RW

A Bumpy Approach

Post by RW » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:02 pm

Perhaps some official complaint to their superiors may enlighten these people to the extent that there "enthusiasm" is damaging relationships. The fact that they have no respect for peoples property & continually ram boats with the potential to damage boats is upsetting.

A well worded letter outlining the facts may start the ball rolling. Alternatively , the media may want to run with it.

Rod

51jay

A Bumpy Approach

Post by 51jay » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:34 am

On a brighter note, I just spent a month on a 40ft cat cruising up from Brisbane to Darwin. All the way up the East Coast and across the Gulf we were never accosted by any of the several departments authorised by gov to accost us. 2 days past the Wessels we were overflown by customs once and that was it for the trip so its probably not a frequent thing for most yachties

I don't know about customs but if you want to be assertive and you live on your boat all the other bozos need a warrant before they can insist on boarding.

Smooth Cruiser

A Bumpy Approach

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:07 pm

51jay wrote:I don't know about customs but if you want to be assertive and you live on your boat all the other bozos need a warrant before they can insist on boarding.

I don't think fisheries do . . .

mahnamahna

A Bumpy Approach

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Smooth Cruiser wrote:
51jay wrote:I don't know about customs but if you want to be assertive and you live on your boat all the other bozos need a warrant before they can insist on boarding.
I don't think fisheries do . . .

Thats part of the problem, who knows and who would want or be able to keep up to know. Part of the attraction of cruising is to let go of the news and I read the news everyday and dont know what government agencies are allowed into my home and what would result from me denying them entry (resisting arrest, obstructing police etc) so in near every case you are better off welcoming authority rather than brisling at it and hoping their stay is brief, pleasant and does not lead to any repercussions.

Of course if their entry is illegal without a warrant any charges that result from it can be challenged and or they can be sued later for illegal entry, I know it does not remove the distaste and inconvenience of them entering your home but I doubt resistance ends well in most cases.

puremajek

A Bumpy Approach

Post by puremajek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 am

Some useless information on Coastwatch, of which I am a huge fan.

The aircraft are mainly Boeing Dash 8 turboprop aircraft (painted white with red stripes) or on the more outer reaches (200nm+), PC3 Orions operated by the RAAF. They all DO HAVE gear on board that will blow your mind, including cameras that can pick up dogs/cats (goats or pigs – you name it) inside vessels from 1km high.

They are utilsed by three government departments that operate independently: Fisheries, Customs and Federal Police, who on any one day can all be scheduled for a piece of the action from one aircraft. Until a co-operative approach is agreed (when two or more departments suspect something untoward), they could all theoretically do a fly-over. They all carry VHF / HF and monitor most marine channels and from the boys up the front, they all say ‘just speak and they will move on”. They are only doing their job and no, I don’t work for any of those agencies.
James

Jim

A Bumpy Approach

Post by Jim » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:58 am

Yes they are just doing their job, but that doesn't leave a better taste in anyones mouth that have been harassed by any of these agencies and some of them tend to do their jobs far too well. We were cruising from Cairns to Cardwell a couple of years ago and every day we had a fly over and every day they asked the same questions. If it had been my boat I would have not answered the radio after the first day. What is really annoying is as Australians we just accept every new rule that is thought up by some "department of idiots" like it is normal. We would have to be the most over governed and regulated country in the world, barring none.

Jim.

puremajek

A Bumpy Approach

Post by puremajek » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:21 pm

I agree about the frustration. We got boarded by Fisheries on Stradbroke and while they were very polite, it appeared to me then that the ‘power’ and ‘control’ carried by the position can be easily misused and there is nothing we can do.

Over-regulated is so true, there are a million ‘clerks’ justifying their jobs by complicating rule making (in unclear English with if’s, and’s and but’s just to confuse the writing even further). In my employ (and this was a few years back), we utilize rather important charts that we later found were designed by a person with no experience in the industry, worst still – no hands-on experience with what he had just designed. Needless to say, his department in Canberra now has other clerks in place to receive changes and repair the documents printed only two weeks earlier, but I digress.

Something new pops up each day about some quirky obscure issue and then left to interpretation of the Authority, such as the PFD issue.
James

swanncat

A Bumpy Approach

Post by swanncat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:57 pm

We've heard lots of horror stories,even one where marine parks boarded their boat while they were ashore swimming, but have experienced no toubles ouselves so far.

A friend of ours carries some stat dec forms which he asks them to sign before boarding as he has no liability insurance.(of course he is insured :D )

mahnamahna

A Bumpy Approach

Post by mahnamahna » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:05 pm

A horror story related to me by my wife who is staying on the Sunshine Coast at the moment, that was on their local TV news. An Australian couple cruising on a Cat they bought overseas and cruised to Australia to briefly attend a family gathering (I think a wedding but not sure) were refused entry into their own country because they had not, and could not pay the GST on the cat they were "Importing". Not withstanding they were only re entering Australia temporarily before continuing on with their cruise they were denied landing rights until the gst was paid despite the intention to re export the cat when they moved on.

kjay

A Bumpy Approach

Post by kjay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 am

Paul, A similar story is in one of the Australian yachting mags at the moment, Cruising Helmsman I think. Quite unbelievable!! and scary.

John