Maroochy River Mafia

Vent your frustration on those who think they are untouchable
mySerenity
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:36 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia
Contact:

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by mySerenity »

Here you go…some more idiotic lunacy brought upon friends of ours. Remembering that this family of two are very NON-confrontational.



Position: Moored up the Maroochy River (near Mackenzies Bridge).



A witness (I suspect a resident along the waterside somewhere - may be one of the Authorities residences) has complained to the Waterways about there presence in the river. They were stocking up for a large trip south and spending some festive overnights on land with their family and friends (they have a house there).



Our kind friends from Waterways, chose to fine rather than harmoniously work together and try and find out some facts. They were fined and warned for:

• ‘Living on board for more than 10 days in a row’ – fined $200 and they now have to prove that they had not,

• Beaching a boat - they were checking various bits including the fastening of the motor brackets and did a walk around, there was no antifouling done - (Waterways class this as ‘conducting repairs’)

• Not carrying a ‘Holding Tank Log to show authorities where, when, at what Lat and Long, discharge was released’ (Waterways asked if he was the Captain of the ship – then stated that he should have known this).



A parting gift from Waterways was “you are lucky you were not fined for the other (apparent/alleged) breaches”. So now one gets fined and its up to us to prove our innocence.



I find it hard to believe that I pay these peoples wages to do a job for me and some continue their power-hungry, authoritarian approach on unsuspecting Cruisers. I suspect that there are only a few rogue elements within this Authority who have power-trips. They do little to help those of us trying to genuinely do the right thing (including this very kind couple). :evil:



I hate to say this, but its little wonder Waterways are held in so low regard.
James
______________________________________________
https://www.diycatamaran.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek
_____________________________________________
madaz
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:47 am
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by madaz »

Wheere else...

Wheere else...

Wheere else but Queeensland.... :roll:
Smooth Cruiser
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Brisbane

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

puremajek wrote:• Not carrying a ‘Holding Tank Log to show authorities where, when, at what Lat and Long, discharge was released’ (Waterways asked if he was the Captain of the ship – then stated that he should have known this).


What a crock of . . . .



I have read the act and regs at some length and I can't remember anything in there about the need for a holding tank log. It does mention that you COULD be asked to describe how you manage sewage in nil discharge areas. I have talked to a number of people about this and been told that this can be as simple as being able to say "I discharge out at sea but when I am in the harbour I go ashore to the public toilet building over there."



When did common sense become so uncommon?
44c
Posts: 1148
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:08 am
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by 44c »

madaz wrote:Wheere else...
Wheere else...
Wheere else but Queeensland.... :roll:


NSW is just as bad. And it will spread nationwide, the greenies are driving this type of thing. Boats are an easy target.
mahnamahna
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:48 pm
Location: Gosford NSW

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by mahnamahna »

44c wrote:
madaz wrote:Wheere else...
Wheere else...
Wheere else but Queeensland.... :roll:
NSW is just as bad. And it will spread nationwide, the greenies are driving this type of thing. Boats are an easy target.


I dont think it is the Greenies, most greenies would agree that most cruisers have a smaller "carbon footprint" than suburbanites, we generate our own power on board, some make or at least catch their own water and are not a drain on resources etc etc.



No I think it is the lack of control that Govt's perceive they have over a nomadic population, usually unburdened by the control that a mortgage and commuting job has over people. Govt set rules that keep us in our place and couple that with the people on the ground that "enforce" these rules, people that feel powerless over their own lives so they take what little power a uniform gives them and abuse it to compensate for the shortcomings they feel they have. For example you would think that a Waterways officer loves being on the water, but they may not even own a boat, so along you come in your shiny Cat and you live their dream, living on the water, free to sail where you please. They hate you for it and they are going to make you pay.



Call me paranoid but I think small minded mid level officials coupled to Governments increasing need to control populations and you have the recipe for exactly what is happening on a regular basis.
Jim
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Cairns

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by Jim »

Nah, not that complicated. They all want to be car park attendants, because that is their mentality level, and wear some sort of uniform but there is not enough carparks to go around so they get some meaningless government job where they get to act like big shots.

Having said that, the main reason is they all have tiny little pencil d--ks.

"Holding tank log", what a load of, well, holding tank contents. I would like to see where that one is written down in the HUGE book of rules.



Jim.
mySerenity
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:36 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia
Contact:

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by mySerenity »

Had an ale or two with them last night and sorted more facts. Apparently, the Mafia were very nice at first and off-the-record, questioned a few of the issues. The bloke, being the honest man that he is, told him what they were doing and how they were getting ready and he very politely corrected a few of ‘Mafia’ miss-guided assumptions.



Mafia then said, “OK, I now have the Waterways cap on - we have written complaints about sewerage discharge (from your vessel), conducting repairs and maintenance (with regard your vessel) and staying on board more than 10 nights (with regard your vessel)”. May be not in these exact words, but you get the idea.



Now his honesty and willingness to provide information has directly worked against him.



Things I am taking away from this:

> ‘A leopard can NEVER change its spots’ :evil: ,

> ‘Paint them all with the same brush’ :evil: :evil: , and

> Say as little as possible and were necessary…BEND THE TRUTH TO SUIT. Because if you don’t, they will provide misguided information and you will get fined anyway for providing honest information :evil: :evil: :evil: .
James
______________________________________________
https://www.diycatamaran.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek
_____________________________________________
madaz
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:47 am
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by madaz »

Not sure how it works up there James, but in my line of work, unless the official has said to the member of the public:



"anything you say will be recorded and may be given in evidence,do you understand"



or words to that affect, then any admission from joe public cannot be used as evidence, should the matter be disputed. And I would be.



Of course if they just roll over and take it up the ... by paying the fine then they have admitted guilt and case closed.
mySerenity
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:36 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia
Contact:

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by mySerenity »

I will pass that on. He is the type of bloke who would just pay and take it as a lesson learnt.
James
______________________________________________
https://www.diycatamaran.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek
_____________________________________________
madaz
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:47 am
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Maroochy River Mafia

Post by madaz »

Most people do James,



but in circumstances where this occurs, if the officer has formed a suspicion by either a report from a member of the public or by his own deductions that anything that constitutes an offence has taken place they must warn the person that they are investigating, that do not have to answer any questions unless they choose to do so and anything they do answer will be noted and used in evidence. or words to that effect.



The basic principal that, people have the right not to incriminate themselves applies to almost any legislation anywhere in the civilised world (with the odd exception). Its basically, the right to silence. I would be amazed if it didnt apply to the relevant legislation in QLD



But as you said, nice normal people who dont deal with authorities to often are not aware of it and do not think of it. They quite happily volunteer information thinking it is the right thing to do.



Smart crooks say nothing, ever. "No comment thankyou officer",

and stupid crooks play dumb. Joe public just caughs up and takes it like a champ, thats why we are not career criminals.



Not wishing to sound like TCP but in the face of some very over zealous authorities, its the best course of action. If they cannot gleen any information/admissions then they have no grounds and in most cases no evidence to proceed with anything. No doubt they will be snakey and shitty when they leave though. :D



Even in this case if it had to go to court, ignorance of the law is never an excuse, but in most courts is a mitigating circumstance. And should a magistrate see that the person in question had no obvious intent to break any law the penalty and often the conviction is set aside. It happens often here, i cant speak for statistics in QLD though.



The court system is in some aspects the human side of the legislation where a magistrate will listen to the circumstances of the individual case and decide what if any penalty will apply, an over zealous officer just gives the specified fine and adds it to the stats for the month they generally cant change the fines.



So intent to break the law plays a large part in the court process. Of course it is a pity if it has to go that far.
Post Reply