Saltie Overload

Vent your frustration on those who think they are untouchable
Jim

Saltie Overload

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi all, there are many good reasons to live in the tropics and some not so good ones. The photos below are of a 2 to 3 meter saltie on the bank of the creek that leads to Bluewater Marina, which is 500 meters or so past the Yorkeys knob Marina. This thing will for the most part, just ignore your presence because I think they all know that they are protected by our Labour Party wankers in Brisbane and placed higher up the food chain than humans. This thing just sits there watching the people fishing, including some kids playing in the shallows, on the other side of the creek which is a small beach near the creek entrance. There is a smaller one 200 to 300 meters nearer Bluewater. The Mangrove creeks around the Cairns area are where boat owners are "ordered" by the authorities to park their boats in the event of a cyclone and some of the marinas have to be evacuated. I would just love to fight my way through the mud and local wildlife to tie up on a mangrove root anywhere up here.

Boots, handbags and belts are all they are good for.

By the way, Leslie works in a crock park and I have had more than one dissagrement with the keepers there.

Jim.

That is a mooring line in the background.

northerncat

Saltie Overload

Post by northerncat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:09 am

run it over and clean your bottom at the same time, oops what sandbank?sean

terryk

Saltie Overload

Post by terryk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:54 pm

We boaties must be higher than the authorities, they obviously think we can walk on water or even fly :!: except for James he can fly :wink:

cheers

terryk

gunnadoo

Saltie Overload

Post by gunnadoo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:46 am

Just give it time guys, with global warming (oops, sorry, the spin docs have tagged it climate change), the first crocs will be in the Brissie river soon. With all those pollies and votes down there, the laws will change so fast it will knock the shine off the crocskin boots. Now, if they reached Sydney :D - ooooh get rid of those hideous brutes! The NIMBY (not in my back yard) mob would see to that faster than morning TV tells us who is playing with who in the celebrity world. Oh well, we can dream, and maybe get some lightness out of our lizards. (I still have this visualisation of a big salty strolling up Bondi.. :lol: )

tuskie

Saltie Overload

Post by tuskie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:42 am

He looks like the 1.5 metre "goanna" we used to see in the early '90's whilst setting the crab pots in Half Moon Creek. It's a worry that that they grow up without the natural fear of humans. Even worse, they associate humans with food due to the laws largely banning the filleting of fish at sea, now the small crocs grow up feeding on fish frames around boat ramps.

By the way, if I remember correctly, it was a National Party government then!

After moving to Brisbane (work !), I've noticed plenty of the "Labour Wankers" Jim referrs to. Plenty of LNP Wankers too!

I think I'll stick to the boats.

Mark

AdelaideCookie

Re: Saltie Overload

Post by AdelaideCookie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Originally being a Drawin boy I'd disagree.

They are protected as "we" were doing our best to wipe them out. We go in to their territory, not the other way around.

Yes they pose a risk but then so do snakes, sharks and several other animals.

I love sailing because of the places (and four wheel driving for that matter)it gives me and my family access to. If I wanted to live in a sanitised "safe" environment I'd live in a big city like Sydney where the only threat is my own species..... of course on a daily basis we do more horrific things to each other than crocs do in a year.

I'm no greeny but lets be realistic!

Asd a side story growing up sailing small boats on Darwin Harbour, using the croc traps as markers, we use to sail every day almost. The reminder of crocs is a great way to see how quick you can right a capsized dingy! (On more than one occassion I witnessed, and have myself righted a boat, the second the main touches the water your over the side on the centreboard and jumping back in!
Building 25ft Cruising Cat
Launceston, Tassie

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:33 pm

The idiots who run this State, either side as they are all the same, have made it an offence to enter water which is known to be a crock habitat, which means almost every saltwater boat ramp and beach for that matter north of Rocky. This "offence" comes with the usual few hundred dollar fine. So if while launching your boat, if attacked by one of those useless lizards you are in breach of the law.
Give me a break.
Jim.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Jim I have lost count of the number of suburbs that have been wiped out by crocs.

And in case I am being a tad too cryptic, we humans would if we didnt have regulators to stop us, wipe out every mangrove and build canal homes, wipe out every shark and croc and whales and whatever else.

You may not like the rules and fair enough, but when I launch my boat I want to travel up there and see crocs. If people had their way, crocs would only be seen at the late Steve Irwins place.

I couldnt agree with you less. Or more passionately. Havent we wiped out enough already to be complaining about another species cramping our styles a little in what is essentially their habitat not ours?

Or is it just a convenient reason to have a whinge about governments? If so surely mandatory insurance for boats over 12mt or black water storage regs or some other annoying way to hassle live aboards would be way more apt.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:33 pm

They taste quite nice actually... a little like sweet chicken with firmer texture.
James

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm

You are right, you'r being too cryptic. I don't get the bit about wiping them or any species out, nowhere have I said anything like that.
Just for the record, I believe all boats should have mandatory insurance, or at least 3rd party property damage, just like cars.
Next time try your croc with a chili sauce James.
Jim.