Saltie Overload

Vent your frustration on those who think they are untouchable
mahnamahna

Re: Saltie Overload

Post by mahnamahna »

Jim wrote:You are right, you'r being too cryptic. I don't get the bit about wiping them or any species out, nowhere have I said anything like that.
Just for the record, I believe all boats should have mandatory insurance, or at least 3rd party property damage, just like cars.
Next time try your croc with a chili sauce James.
Jim.
Jim, You dont have to say you want them wiped out, you dont even need to say its not your intention that any species is wiped out, but the truth of the matter is, that without regulations to prevent it, that is exactly what would happen. We humans dont know how to say enough. And by that I dont mean you personally, but all of us generally. The price we all pay for those among us that dont have a conscience is regulation. Without it nothing would survive the year let alone the decade or the century.

Humans as a species are the only ones that tip the balances. We kill more than we can eat, we harvest more than is sustainable, we push limits and deny science all because of our greed. We have all but wiped out the Southern bluefin tuna, whilst all the while scientists told the industry it had to be regulated. (same with cod and herring in the North sea and Newfoundland, and countless other species in countless other places). Anglers have long lived with bag limits and size limits, why, because some of us cant be trusted otherwise. Fishermen in places like Eden hired lobbyists to forestall regulation regarding tuna and in the end regulation wasnt needed, the species is all but gone as is the cannery. Why do you think it is we need a whaling ban? Without regulation, nothing is safe from us.

So yes, the next time I read a story where a suburb of Cairns is deemed uninhabitable because the crocs have moved in I will chalk one up to the other side. It wont ever happen but you can be assured that next week another species somewhere on earth will have died out. Most likely by a factor of about 100 it was due to the actions of man.

Nuff said on this I think. Leave the crocs be, and cop the regs sweet. You are in their environment not the other way around. And yes, to me the crocs are more important than humans. There is very little chance of the human species nearing extinction anytime soon, quite the contrary, although that exponential population growth could endanger man too and regulation (on birth controls) may be needed, another example of mans inability to self regulate. But thats another subject.

I struggled with the footprint that building my boat would have, but in the end I figured that living aboard, generating my own power and making as small a draw on resources as possible may mitigate that footprint. Nothing is free. Everything costs something. I am sure that protecting crocs so that one day we dont have to look in books or documentaries to remember what they were is a huge benefit of the small price the protections we afford them cost us.
mySerenity

Post by mySerenity »

Phew...it's a bit hot here boys. Or is that just the chilli sauce on the croc?
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

Post by Jim »

Hi James, I meant sweet chili sauce as it's not so hot.
I'm done.
Jim.
terryk

Post by terryk »

Can you train crocs to eat box jellyfish or that other little nuisance that I can`t at the moment spell, that other little stinging jellyfish. irianj----?
cheers
terryk
Jim

Post by Jim »

I know that was "tongue in cheek" but no they can't really be trained for anything. Having said that, sometimes, after time, they will come to a particular persons voice for food, in farms, not in the wild. While I would have no hesitation in blowing one away if I was in danger, same with snakes, wild boars, sharks or anything that was a threat to me or my family, they really are quite an amazing animal. They aren't cold blooded like most people believe and they regulate their body temperature by controlling their blood flow to different parts of their body depending on their needs. If they get a leg chewed off in a fight, they can stop the blood supply to that stump so they won't bleed to death. They don't like rotten meat and they don't stuff food under logs, just a couple more firfies to do with crocks. They are well worth reading about, very interesting creatures.
Turtles eat Box Jellys, but they don't seem to be able to keep up with the supply lately, might have something to do with the turtle numbers that are killed by the local natives up here with their traditional methods of fishing. Tinnies, outboards, nets. Don't get started Jim.
They are still learning about the Irukandji because the young ones are about the size of the tip of your small finger and transparent, so tracking them in dirty rivers and mangroves is almost impossible. Also because of their size they can't really be netted off like the Box Jelly. They are about as handy as a mozzie. They (both) tend to hang about inshore and mainly during the light Northerlies. I have spent quite a bit of time out on the reef and never seen one out there. That doesn't mean they don't go there though.
Jim.
44c

Post by 44c »

Damn crocs are spreading south!

We spotted this one on Great Keppel Island:

44c

Post by 44c »

[quote="mahnamahna] And yes, to me the crocs are more important than humans. [/quote]

Interesting. So if your wife/child was about to be attacked by a croc, and you had a .303 in your hands, which one would you shoot?

Or are crocs only more important than SOME humans?

Another way of looking at it - if your house became infested with funnelweb spiders - a native species remember, they were here first, we're living in their environment etc etc etc.. - would you just live with them? I bet not.

It's very, very easy to tell OTHER people they should just cop it sweet.
Roger Banister

Post by Roger Banister »

After reading the whole post.... !!! the photo made me laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done
rexd666
Site Admin

Post by rexd666 »

44c wrote:Damn crocs are spreading south!

Now there is a croc that should be exterminated. ;)

Was worth the laugh, nice post.
AdelaideCookie

Post by AdelaideCookie »

rexd666 wrote:
44c wrote:Damn crocs are spreading south!

Now there is a croc that should be exterminated. ;)

Was worth the laugh, nice post.

It's always the one you can't see you have to watch out for :) lol
Building 25ft Cruising Cat
Launceston, Tassie