ply wood from boatcraft or plywood + panal

Some quick ideas, fixes, resins and joinery hints and building tips
markg

ply wood from boatcraft or plywood + panal

Post by markg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi guys
Im about to build a waller 1200 and the designer recommends gaboon ply
boatcraft quoted for a 9mm sheet $133.19 + gst
plywood + panel quoted for a 9mm sheet $79.57 + gst with the Lloyd's Certificate demonstrating it being certified to the requirements of the British Standard BS1088 for marine plywood

my head is spinning

Has anyone delt with plywood + panel before ???? going to go and have a look , but I'm onshore what I'm looking for in a good ply

thanks mark

mikeb

Re: ply wood from boatcraft or plywood + panal

Post by mikeb » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Mark
I claim no expertise here but I do know that the Llodys certifciation isn't as stringent as the Australian.
I'd check the weight as the cheaper panel may only have gaboon on the outside and a heavier core. I'd check the number of layers too. It's a big price difference, might be work buying the cheaper one to cut it up and see if there's many voids etc.
Good luck, Mike.

Bingo

Post by Bingo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:56 pm

U know wot the bs stands for in bs 1088, poor quality control, 2272 is the Aussie standard. Having said that I’m using the dragon brand made in Indonesia to do my extensions. It is lightweight and has the type a phenolic bond. Bunnings mob have been selling it here in Darwin for bout 12 months and it’s way better quality than the Malaysian brand they were selling. Boatcraft call it pink marine ply and they give it a pretty good rap. Good way to test any marine ply ( bond) is to drop a bit in the drink for a few days and see wot happens. Cheers. Steve

Bingo

Post by Bingo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:03 am

Just to clarify wot was said in an earlier post the bs 1088 is a British standard enforceable in the uk, (quality control). Most of the marine ply sold in Australia comes from Asian countries some carrying the 1088 logo which may not be suitable for boat building. Do your homework research thoroughly. The type A phenolic waterproof bond is to me the most important consideration, if the boat is built properly incapsulated in epoxy u won’t have any problems. Cheers Steve