dreaded epoxy rash

Some quick ideas, fixes, resins and joinery hints and building tips
CQ Cruiser

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by CQ Cruiser » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:57 am

Know the feeling Terryk. It has different reactions to different people.

Another thing you can try is taking Zinc tablets, they do help with healing alot of skin irritations and also cuts etc, I have used them before and seem to help. Also more natural than more chemicals

Gaz

northerncat

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by northerncat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 am

puremajek wrote:
I used an alcohol based liquid used for Prickley Heat
Jim, you are supposed to 'dab' it on the affected area, not drink it. :wink: :wink:

shh he still doesnt know that the meths is for cleaning up the epoxy

sean

Taniwha

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by Taniwha » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:56 pm

I seem to get it when I sand epoxy that hasn't cured for long enough. I try to give it a good few days before sanding nowadays. The West website and literature does warn that the epoxy isn't fully cured for sometime after its gone hard. I find working up a sweat and sprinkling part cured dust over myself is a great way to get the rash. As for rash from volatile loss as the epoxy cures - I have had no trouble. Maybe one of the few (only?) advantages of an outdoor build.

Interestingly, from what I read,the agents in the hardener that cause rash may be less carcinogenic than alternative agents that are claimed to cause less reaction. Maybe in 50 years people will be astounded by our activities...much like I am at my late father's habit of chewing blue asbsestos into a pulp in the Navy (not as a tobacco alternative - it was common practice for repairing pipe insulation).

terryk

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by terryk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi Gaz, I`ll give the zinc a go, I`ll strap anodes to my torso and see what happens, or maybe that`s not a good idea as I may be the sacrficial one :!: :!: So it`s off to buy more Blackmores products :roll:

cheers

terryk

terryk

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by terryk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi builders, after lathering up with barrier cream and staying outdoors and then applying Dermaid the dreaded rash is disappearing

:D :D :D I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for all the help.

cheers

terryk

mahnamahna

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Terry I sometimes wonder if it is possible to have epoxy allergy as a result of some other contagion that works in concert with the epoxy to give the rash. What I mean by this is that I seem to have had the "symptoms" at times but not others and I just wonder if there is some other random factor.

Anyway glad to hear you are still able to work and that symptoms are disappearing.

pete radclyffe

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by pete radclyffe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 am

terryk wrote:Hi builders, does anyone have a good cream either prescription or over the counter for the dreaded epoxy rash :?: I have developed an annoying little rash even though I am very careful when using the product, barrier cream organics mask,gloves etc. I have been using Elocon cream but I don`t think this really suitable for this problem.
cheers
terryk
olive oil

Jim

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:40 am

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum and where is ELBA?

Jim.

pete radclyffe

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by pete radclyffe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 am

Jim wrote:Hi Pete, welcome to the forum and where is ELBA?
Jim.
thank you , hello Jim, its in italy

pete radclyffe

dreaded epoxy rash

Post by pete radclyffe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 pm

pete radclyffe wrote:
Jim wrote:Hi Pete, welcome to the forum and where is ELBA?
Jim.
thank you , hello Jim, its in italy
does anyone know the best deck cleaner, apart from abrasives, that will not disturb & loosen the mastic