Low voltage protection

Things 12V and 24V
martica

Low voltage protection

Post by martica » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:37 pm

As anyone any ideas on low voltage protection devices as I have been looking at Alfatronix PowerTector PT200 and the victron bp 200i I have been advised by 12 volt gurus that you need them in your system
Cheers
Mick

puremajek

Re: Low voltage protection

Post by puremajek » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 am

Has anyone any ideas
Can't help, but what you have found appears to be the go. This is one of those ingenious goodies that is a 'fuse for your bank account'. Appears simple to install and will save your batteries when high battery demand exceeds the recharging rate. Nice find. Do you know if Ble Seas make a similar gadget?

''Groper' - you have any ideas?
James

martica

Post by martica » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:42 am

Hi James it seems blue sea don't have one

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:16 am

Hi Mick

Both those units look like they would do the job ok with Lead-Acid batteries. They have a number of program modes that disconnect and reconnect at a range of voltages, and I am sure that one of those program modes would work for any particular load you would be using.

I reckon that the exact program mode you require would depend on the batteries you choose, and the loads that would be drawing. Large loads are going to drop the voltage with a LA battery supply, and could cause the unit to disconnect prematurely.

Are you looking to protect your batteries while you are away from the boat, or looking to save you monitoring them while you are on board?

There's not much granularity between the modes of those Victron and Alfatronix units, so I don't think these would do the job for Lithium Ion batteries. Does anyone have experience with suitable low-voltage protection units for LiPO4?

Chris