12 Volt Fans

Things 12V and 24V
Jim

12 Volt Fans

Post by Jim » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:19 am

I bought a couple of the Caframo Bora 3-speed Fans (Model 748CA) a couple of weeks ago and fitted them today in the bedrooms/cabins.

Positives. Power useage is almost zero.

One was quiet, one vibrated like hell, so was noisy.

Negatives. Price. On sale at $90 each.

Output is not great even on speed 3. (Tropics up here).

They don't oscillate.

One of them was whisper quiet even on high speed, the second one I fitted , in my room of course, was worse than the $24 ones from Whitworths. The problem was the blade was hopelessly out of balance which was causing the vibtation. I got around it by "balancing" the blade by putting first one, then two cable ties around the light blade. Problem fixed.

I kept the cheapies because they really push some air for such a small fan, but they are noisy and a bit power hungry, but on a still, or rainy night I will use both of them, stuff the batteries, they'll recover.

I can't say I would recommend the Caframo unless you have a severe power problem. They are too expensive for the amount of air they deliver and they don't oscillate.

Jim.

Smooth Cruiser

12 Volt Fans

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Hmmm I should have waited for your product review. I bought two the other day as well after reading James's post. :oops:

I haven't mounted them yet but pulled them out of the box yesterday and thought the blade area on the fan looked a bit small for large airflow.

I will probably try to mount them closer to the bed than I was thinking of based on your comments to try to get best effect. I too have some "car dash" type ones which I hardly use because of the power draw and the noise, but they do push some air around. I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch after all!!

Jim

12 Volt Fans

Post by Jim » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:15 am

Hi SC, I left my dash mount, ocsillateing, noisy, high output, hi Amp draw ones at the foot end of the beds and put the new ones next to the reading lights at the head of the bed. If the new ones were at the foot of the bed I don't think any air would reach the top of the bed at all.

Jim.

puremajek

12 Volt Fans

Post by puremajek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:53 am

Jim

Sorry the Fans did not work out that well for you. I based my purchase on power usage (from another forum) and have only favourable comment about them (as listed earlier) however, do not live in the tropics. I would send the crook one back.

If it is at all possible, would you be able to supply the different current draws? I suspect its as you said... Is one after power usage or output, or even both?
James

Smooth Cruiser

12 Volt Fans

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:25 am

My car type ones draw just less than 1.5A, around 15W. This makes running two all night a draining proposition.

44c

12 Volt Fans

Post by 44c » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:21 pm

I had a Hella fan on the old boat. They are a bit expensive too, but do move decent air, and don't draw too much power, around 1/2 an amp IIRC. Noise is fine on low speed, a bit much on high, but on high they pump a lot of air.

Jim

12 Volt Fans

Post by Jim » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi all, I checked the fan power useage on the weekend and the noisy cheap one uses 1.5 amps the Bora uses point something small. The amp gauge moves the thickness of the gauge pointer, as a guess .2 amps (my amp meter moves but only just) which is 5/8ths of stuff all. If it used double the power and pushed half as much more air than it does now it would be heaps better than anything else.

Jim.

Chrisg

Re: 12 Volt Fans

Post by Chrisg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Has anyone got upto date info or comments / experience with 12V fans :?:
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 am

Chris

It's our first real use of these fans. We are currently cruising in an area where it's averaging 30-38 *C and the fans have been suitable, just running on low through the night. As with Jim, we have had a problem with one of the five we bought, unfortunately now out of warranty. I am going to order another Bora for what it's worth.
James

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:21 am

I got 3 Hella Turbo fans on e-bay from the US. They were about $60 each. Closer to $200 each in Aus!!!

Pretty quiet, very low current draw and move a decent amount of air.